Monday, November 29, 2010

#235 unofficial etsy featured seller - hushmouse

#235 unofficial etsy featured seller - hushmouse
Date joined etsy- 07/30/06
Sales to date - 362-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

Hi, my name is Maggie Hurley. I've been calling Berkeley, CA home for the past 4 years now. I live and work in my sunny studio, whipping up plush creatures and whimsical paintings whenever I have a chance. I have one wonderful kitty, Miette, who likes to help when she can (which usually consists of her running off with a spool of thread to unravel around the house).

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

I used to work in the corporate world where I had to be in the office between 7:30am - 8am. I left that job a little over a year ago to pursue my art, and now enjoy waking up closer to 9:30am or 10am. I stumble downstairs, make a cup of coffee, and check my email to see if any new orders have popped up overnight (which is always good news!). After coffee, I decide whether it's going to be a painting day, a sewing day, or a get-the-business-stuff-done day. Around the holidays, there seem to be more sewing days. I venture back up to the studio, put on some music or NPR and get to work. At some point, I'll stop to eat, or go walk around the block. Some days I'll work til midnight or 1am, other days, I'll stop at a normal hour, go for a walk for some inspiration, or hang out with my neighbors (who have a bunch of chickens, a couple dogs, a couple rheas, and yes, this is all in Berkeley).

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I think my artistic career started as a little kid. My mom told me I used to run down the hall with bunch of crayons in my hand, leaving streaks of colored wax along the walls as I went. I taught myself to paint as a kid by looking at Brian Froud's fairy paintings. I also went through an origami phase. I've liked creating things for as long as I could remember.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

A close friend of mine started selling stuff on Etsy when it was just getting started. I'd been struggling with the idea of approaching a gallery or store to get my work out - the whole process is so intimidating. My friend had some success on Etsy selling prints, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm so glad I did!

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

It took a few months. I didn't really put much effort into it at first, but once I started listing more regularly, things really took off.
-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

Foods: cereal (I kind of live off of it), blueberries, quiche, sushi, anything pumpkin

TV Shows: Community, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Lie to Me, Chuck (I really love any show with a female lead that can kick some serious @ss)

Bands*: Cee-lo/Gnarles Barkley, Florence + the Machine, Sarah Blasko, Yann Tiersen, Mirah
* these change daily

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

Oh wow, there's so much I'd like to try. I have my hands in so many different mediums that I'm kind of reticent to pick up many more. I kind of have this secret wish that I was a ninja, so taking some sort of martial arts class would be pretty fantastic. I've never worked with encaustic/wax and would like to explore that a bit. I'm too much of a mad scientist for baking, but I make crazy wonderful pancakes (last batch: oatmeal/pumpkin/walnut/nutmeg/curry/chocolate - yeah, sounds kind of insane, but you should try it out)!

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

Well, I have a blog, facebook page, and twitter that I've used to promote my shop, which is definitely useful. I think finding other blogs that relate to your work for advertising is helpful. For example, my shop is packed to the brim with owls, so advertising on myowlbarn.com has brought tons of people my way. I've been participating in a lot of local craft shows and I always encourage people to take a card with my website on it. Word of mouth is also helpful.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

love love love Marmee Craft. Her paintings are gorgeous and I've found wonderful music on her blog

Scabby Robot - gorgeous bags and wallets

Field Day
- one day I will buy one of those blue jumpers...

-One year from now...

I have this idea to open a workshop/boutique/class teaching space. It will happen.... I am determined!

--
Have an etsy shop with over 300 sales and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)