Wednesday, January 5, 2011

#241 unofficial etsy featured seller - MapleShadeKids

#241 unofficial etsy featured seller - MapleShadeKids
Date joined etsy- 12/2/08
Sales to date - 610
-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

My name is Wanda Hirsch and I live in New Hampshire with my husband, 10 year old daughter, 7 year old twin boys and our two rescued cats. My favorite ice-cream flavor is grape-nut (I know, I know!). I love combining vintage and modern decor so our 1800 New England farm house is the perfect backdrop to add fun, modern pieces.

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

6:00am: Rise and Shine!.... ahh, peace and quiet. With a big mug of hot brewed coffee, I check for sales, return emails and/or pack products to be shipped.

7:00am: Try and wake the rest of the family. No one, but me, likes mornings.

8:00am: Drop kids off at school and packages at the post office.

9:00am-3:00pm: Creation time! Glue, seal, cut wood products, sand, take pictures - whatever my goals are for the day. Enjoy a quick lunch with my husband, who is also fortunate enough to work from home.

3:00: Mom Duty. Snacks, soccer, dance, boyscouts, help with homework. If possible, put a quick coat of sealer on products if need be.

6:30pm: Family dinner. Eat, talk, laugh.

8:00: Kids into bed. Try not to fall asleep as I snuggle up with them while they read to me.

8:30 - Relax with book, movie or tv show.

10:00pm - Sleep

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I grew up in a small town in Maine climbing apple trees, balancing on old rock walls, and creating many “gifts” for family members and friends. These gifts ranged from drawings and magazine collages to painted wood boxes and pot holders – you name it, I did it.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

I came across Etsy in a magazine article. After checking it out, I knew instantly it was the perfect place for me. No need to spend weekends at craft fairs or carting around 3 kids trying to pitch my products to businesses.

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

I posted a few products and waited and waited and waited for 5 long weeks before my first sale!
-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

Indian or Thai food - bring on the spice!
Shows: Modern Family, Dancing with the Stars, anything design related on HGTV.
Music: Jack Johnson, Yael Naim.

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

I’m inspired by all the beautiful fabric out there and admire people who can sew gorgeous items. Right now, my children know to go to their dad if something needs to be sewed. Maybe someday I will surprise them!

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

Stay a top Etsy’s merchandising themes by visiting www.etsy.com/storque/seller-handbook/ and reading “From Etsy’s Merchandising Desk” each month. Here you will find the hot items Etsy will be looking for and can create and tag items/treasuries accordingly.
Re-list at least a product every day. The 20cent listing fee will definitly pay off.


-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

www.etsy.com/shop/irenesuchocki
www.etsy.com/shop/herbolution
www.etsy.com/shop/ethanollie

-One year from now

I see Maple Shade Kids product line growing to incorporate new and exciting eco items and designs. Chat later, I better get back to creating! Best of luck!

--
Have an etsy shop with over 300 sales and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)