Wednesday, February 2, 2011

#245 unofficial etsy featured seller - Shelleyroze

#245 unofficial etsy featured seller - Shelleyroze
Date joined etsy- 8/24/08
Sales to date - 362
-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

Hi, my name is Shelley and I am the owner of ShelleyRoze Art. I live on a top of a hill in Belmont, Mississippi, about 50 miles north of Tupelo. I love living in Mississippi, as the people here are really great and the land is very beautiful. Most of my art is dedicated to the landscapes and trees in the area. My husband's name is David and we have been married for 21 wonderful years. He is my best friend. We have one child, a son, who is fifteen and our dog is a labrador named "Rose".

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

I usually start the day at 5:30 a.m. First, is coffee, then I get ready for my day job in advertising. When arriving home from work, I get dinner ready and check my emails. Then, usually watch a little television to wind down. If I have orders to pack or custom paintings to finish, I start on those and finish working by 8:30 p.m. At this time, it's back to the computer to check on the shop and answer anymore emails, or sometimes I read a book.

Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

Absolutely! I can remember making jewelry, art, dresses for my dolls or anything that I needed and didn't have. My mother is very good at drawing and she always encouraged me when I was little, and we have a very creative family. So, I guess it's in the genes.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

Basically, I saw an article in a magazine about Etsy. I just had to check it out, but it was a little while before I actually took the plunge and opened a shop.

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

I had so much to learn when I opened my shop and didn't have very good photos etc. It was at least a month before I got a sale. Don't worry if it takes a little while to get a sale. Just keep working on your photos and your work until your business takes off.

-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

Food: Chocolate, cheesecake, key lime pie ice cream, lasagna, pizza.
TV: CSI.
Bands: Duran Duran, Evanessence, Linkin Park and Def Leppard.

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

I'd like to try encaustic, and pottery.

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

Customer service is #1. When you open your shop, photos and listing new items are important, but make sure that you put your customers first. A happy customer will come back again and again, because they enjoy buying from you. Try your best to ship orders out as soon as you can, and if there is any delay, make sure to let your customer know. In addition to that, I would say that advertising is essential. Any advertising for your shop is an investment. Lastly, visiting the forums and participating on teams are great ways to find people with similar interests and be known. People in the Etsy forums are always very helpful and I have received alot of advice there.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

Tim's Sally, Roz Art, and Paintchic

-One year from now...

I hope to have art in local shops and maybe even do some art shows. But mostly, I would be happy just being here on Etsy and to continue being inspired in my art.

--
Have an etsy shop with over 300 sales and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)