Sunday, June 6, 2010

#136 unofficial etsy featured seller - nakedtile

#136 unofficial etsy featured seller - nakedtile
Date joined etsy -7/26/07
Sales to date - 690-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

Hello! My name is Natalie, born and raised in Athens, Greece where I currently live with my sister. I work from home which can be a bit daunting especially because of the restricted space. My sister is patient though so she's used to seeing cabs and fabric and felt and buttons practically everywhere. I have studied journalism but I'm yet to find a job in the field so right now I'm dedicating all of my time to my business. I love comics, jelly beans and vanilla ice cream with caramelized macadamia nuts. Yum.

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

I'm not an early riser, in fact sleeping is one of my favorite hobbies! When I do manage to crawl out of bed, coffee is my first priority. I then turn on my laptop, check my mail, etsy shop, facebook, twitter and blog. I will send any mails or convos that need to be sent and update what needs updating. By then I'm already on my second cup. Once this is finished it's close to lunch time so it's either cooking or having food delivered. Next up, it's packing orders, brainstorming and making new items, running errands, photographing any new pieces and occasionally meeting friends for coffee. Evenings are either spent with my sister watching our favorite US tv shows and movies or going out for drinks, food or at the movies with friends.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I've always loved making stuff with my own hands, and taking apart mechanical stuff like clocks or phones and playing with all the parts. I also fondly remember my grandmothers knitting, sewing, and making traditional sweets and pies. Growing up I've made the obligatory pasta necklaces, maps made of clay, tried needlepointing, and of course baking. Baking is one of my greatest loves.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

It really was a spur of the moment kind of thing. I've made my own jewelry for a while and one evening I started googling handmade jewelry and came across Etsy. It seemed really easy to use so I opened shop immediately, without many expectations I may add. Etsy has really helped me take my passion to the next level. I've now sold my jewelry all over the world, and that's such a great feeling!

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

I got my first sale a few days after opening. You can imagine my excitement! I also did some trading back then, it was an easy way to get my hands on some of the beautiful handmade work of others! Once I managed to develop a routine and list new items frequently the sales have been more or less steady.

-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

I love food! Some of my favorites include wild mushroom risotto, pizza, lemon meringue pie, chinese, sushi and cheesecake.
I watch a lot of TV. Some of my favorite shows include Buffy, Angel, Firefly (anything by Joss Whedon, really), Arrested Development, Sex and the city, Community (best new show!), Grey's Anatomy, Modern Family, Castle, The Big Bang Theory, Spaced. And many, many more.
Bands:
R.E.M.
The National
Arcade Fire
The Beatles
The Magnetic Fields

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.
Knitting! It seems so relaxing and as a bonus you get a beautiful scarf when you're done! It's one of my new year's resolutions, now to find someone to teach me!

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

It's really hard to say what works best for individual shops but here's what helped me the most.
Blogs- I love blogs! I have my own blog but interacting with other bloggers is the best. I've been lucky enough to be featured in a few fabulous Greek fashion blogs and it really has been a great promotion locally for my shop.
Facebook- I recently started a fan page for my shop and I've been really pleased with the results. I've gotten good feedback, an easy way to interact with people, plus a few new customers.
Etsy- Being selected to be on the front page, getting featured in the Storque and the Etsy Finds has been amazing. Lots of views, hearts and sales every time. It's a bit of a luck of the draw though, so make sure your pictures, descriptions and tags are always impeccable!

Last but not least- Go Local. Explore your local marketplace, approach shops with handmade items, craft fairs, etc. It will boost your confidence!

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

Oh, there are so many! Hmm, let's see:
PetitPlat- mind-blowing polymer clay miniatures!
Vladmaster- amazing art, nothing like you've seen before.
TheHouseOfWorn- brilliant fashion magazine

-One year from now, I hope my number of sold items is...

10,000? 5,000? Ok, I'd settle for 1,500. *fingers crossed*

--
Have an etsy shop with over 300 sales and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)