Monday, June 28, 2010

#150 unofficial etsy featured seller - PearsonMaron

#150 unofficial etsy featured seller - PearsonMaron
Date joined etsy -3/28/07
Sales to date - 1748-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

A: My name is Adam Maron. I live in Southern California. I have a daughter. We both
enjoy ice cream however I like my ice cream in a cup while she likes the kind you have to push through a tube. My favorite flavor is mint chocolate chip, pistachio, and butter pecan.

Q: I’m Quincy person. I am married to Adam and have a lovely daughter with him. I don’t really care for ice cream. (I might be convinced to eat a bit of green tea ice cream once in a while if pressured) I also have two slightly annoying yet lovable cats.

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

Q: Our daughter usually wakes us up sometime after sunrise .

We make breakfast and if it is a day she goes to pre-school Adam will take her and I will work in our office either making things or doing computer work.

I like to listen to music, podcasts and watch bad television on my computer while I work. Surprisingly my computer keyboard still functions even though it has had glaze spilled on it and is covered in ceramic dust.

When Adam is back from the school drop-off he heads into our studio which is a master bedroom that has been converted into an absolute mess of art supplies.

When our daughter is home we take turns playing with her while the other one of us works. One of us is usually working until about 9 or 10pm and if we can we fit in a video or reading before bed.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

A: I was always creative however I didn't realize I was an artist until I was around 18 or 19. My parents bent over backwards not to stifle our creativity, to the point of allowing my sister and I to write and draw on the walls of their home. I started out drawing and then as a teenager I developed an interest in cell animation and began doing illustrative paintings on cells with cell vinyl. A year or two after that I took a local ceramics class and was amazed with the medium, and immediately started creating ceramic sculpture.

Q: Have always been creative. I did loads of painting and paper doll making as a kid. I was also quite fond of making things out of colored pipe cleaners.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

We feel a bit dumb for waiting so long. We discovered Etsy about a year prior to signing up. Seeing all the amazing artists on etsy is really inspiring.

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

About a month.

-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

Q:
Aloo Palak
Garlic Nan
Vegetarian Sushi
Pad See Ew
Nachos

Mad Men
Lost
Six Feet Under
30 Rock
The Office

Wizz Jones
Sibylle Baier
Bob Dylan
Nico
Leonard Cohen

A:
Pizza, hard salami, olives of any kind, guacamole, ice cream or frozen yogurt.
Curb Your Enthusiasm, Lost, The Office (both British and American), Seinfeld,
and Celebrity Hoarders (is that a show?)

Elliott Smith
The White Stripes
Black flag
Slayer
Nick Drake

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making,
wood working, an instrument, etc.

A: Yes. I am interested in soap making, jewelry making, and the art of
stained glass, and clay animation.

Q: Yes yes yes. All of it. I know how to bake, have tried wood working and used to play an instrument but I’d love to try more things. I’m thinking about starting with sewing. Adam can sew so I might force him to teach me. I figure if I’m going to be wearing ugly clothes with cat hair on them they might as well be handmade.

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

I think keeping your shop active is important. List new things as much as possible. Find blogs that might make a good fit to showcase your items and submit to them or advertise with them.

Be kind, honest, and original.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

Q:
JustinDurand http://www.etsy.com/shop/justindurand
Domestikate http://www.etsy.com/shop/domestikate
Tugboatprintshop http://www.etsy.com/shop/tugboatprintshop

A:
Badhairmountain http://www.etsy.com/shop/badhairmountain
Mattdpictures http://www.etsy.com/shop/mattdpictures
OwlyShadowpuppets http://www.etsy.com/shop/owlyshadowpuppets


-One year from now, I hope my number of sold items is...

Q:
Is it bad luck to answer that question? I don’t want to place hopes on a number. We just want to do better each year. Being an artist, every month is a struggle to make ends meet. I guess our hope is not to struggle so hard; to make enough of a living to not worry about providing for our family. I think that’s sort of the universal desire of most people. We just want to make a living making things that we love.

--
Have an etsy shop with over 300 sales and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)