Friday, June 11, 2010

#139 unofficial etsy featured seller - retrofied

#139 unofficial etsy featured seller - retrofied
Date joined etsy -8/29/07
Sales to date - 1870-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

My name is Rebecca and I live in Savannah, Georgia with my four legged buddy Teeny - he started life under a house and has since traveled to 3 major cities and 1 island with me. My favorite ice cream is anything coffee flavored with chocolate and almonds. Teeny enjoys melted vanilla. Most weekends you will find me hanging with family along the coast of Georgia or up in Atlanta. I also spend some time throwing pottery, running (slowly, but surely), and working on something in pen and ink.

Describe an average day in life of "you".

Typically I like to start the day off by heading to the post office. Riding my bike up Bull Street in Savannah is by far the best way to start the day. It is perfectly shady and there is something nice about seeing other people start out their day. The ladies in the post office are also extra talkative in the morning - which I like.

Once the packages are dropped off it is back to the home studio where copious amounts of cutting, ironing, and pinning bags begins. Answering emails comes next, then the sewing begins. Once bags are just about complete I like to go out for a walk/ coffee/ pick up supplies. Bag are then completed, postage printed and I am ready for that morning ride to the post again. Did I mention I love the morning ride?

I save night for working on new bags, fabric ideas, and anything new you slowly see showing up in the shop.

Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I have been drawing since I was old enough to hold a pin in my hand. My sister and I used to obsessively ask my mother to draw princesses with pointy hats and flowing gauze on them - and she did! Mostly I spent a lot of time playing the piano and working on pen and inks. I graduated from Oglethorpe Univerisy in Atlanta with a BA in Art and a BA in Psychology and then spent a number of years doing very little with art. Starting retrofied seemed to happen naturally and has completely taken over my life. I feel like one very lucky kid again.

What made you want to start selling on etsy?

My sister had seen Etsy and told me some of the bags I was making would be perfect for it. She took the initial photos, helped me name the shop and even made the banner. If it were not for my Mother and my sister I would never have even thought of doing this.

How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

About 5 months. I started the shop in August, never really listed anything, then in December someone bought a bag. There is no telling how they even found my shop! But I did start getting very excited about the work then and put a lot of effort over those next few months into working on original bag patterns, photos, and finding great fabrics.

Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands

Spinach Salad from the Green Goddess in Chicago, a good Greek salad, Iced Mochas, my Mother's Shrimp Salad, Trader Joe's Chocolate Covered Peanuts, Pesto anything.

Myth Busters, Anything History Channel, Georgia Outdoor, Local News (it is too cute in a small town - they seem to ignore the rest of the world here).

The Traveling Wilburys, Roy Orbison, Beethoven, anything and everything - I like it all!

Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

I took piano lessons for 10 years and played mostly classical. I would like to learn to play some honky tonk - and get bold enough to play somewhere with lots of tipsy happy people making lots of noise. Definitely would like more time to get better at throwing clay.

What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

Definitely be unique. Your shop is a great way to express your talent and who you are. Do not worry about what other people are doing/ making. If you really want to make a go of it and are not sure what to make/ sell then take a look at the Time Machine. See what people are buying. Also think about what you would spend your hard earned money on - put yourself in the customers shoes. Make sure your photos really show case what your items are all about. Good photos can make a shop. Do make sure you relist and always welcome bloggers who ask to write about your work.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

EllainaBoutique - just bought the most awesome purple dress from her - it is amazing.

Fabricworm is another great shop - Cynthia is a friendly shop owner.

Foulardthreads has the most amazing scarves made from recycled plaid shirts. I am the happy owner of one blue plaid Eternity and love wearing it with t shirts.

By December 31, 2010 I hope my number of sold items is... 2201!



--
Have an etsy shop with over 300 sales and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)