Tuesday, January 26, 2010

#12 unofficial etsy featured seller - WilsonGraphics

#12 unofficial etsy featured seller - WilsonGraphics
Date joined etsy - 7/24/06
Sales to date - 2114



-Tell us a bit about yourself name, location, affiliations, personal stuff.

My name is Paul David Wilson, I live in Panama City, FL and make my living creating vinyl wall decals. I showcase these in a variety of shops on the Internet. All through school I enjoyed art an it's ironic that in high school on more than one occasion I got in trouble for drawing instead of paying attention to the subjects being taught. My hobby became my lively hood and for many years I worked as a graphic designer and illustrator. I got tired of the rat race and in 2007 I went full time working from my home studio and selling wall graphics around the world.

-Apart from creating things, what do you do?

When I'm not working I'm either writing, reading or gaming. I find that having my own business though and being on the Internet means I get emails and requests every day of the week and just about any time of day. So I have to take my breaks when I can.

-What first made you want to become an artist?

I was one of those kids who just started drawing and never stopped. It's one of those things where an idea inspires you and you can't stop thinking about it until you've created the idea. Wall graphics have been around for a while but I've got a number of themes which are unique and can't be found anywhere else. It's nice to be able to see your art bring satisfaction to someone else and I think that keeps me going just as much as the need to make a living.
-Please describe your creative process how, when, materials, etc.

The creative process itself is fascinating to me. I try to soak in as much information as I can and let it "brew" for a while and then see what comes out. You never know exactly what the results will be and its always a bit of vindication when you start getting alot of positive feedback about a particular creation.
-What handmade possession do you most cherish?

Hmm...good question. I'm a big fan of Tea, not the average store brands but the ones made by the smaller companies. Each tea is different even those with the same ingredients and it's nice to just sit with a cup of tea and relax.

-Name your top five books, movies, songs/musical groups, and web sites besides Etsy.

Books:
1. Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience
2. The Diamond Age: Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer
3. Anything by Ray Bradbury
4. The Art of Seduction by Robert Greene
5. Steampunk by Ann VanderMeer and Jeff VanderMeer
Music - Just about anything except jazz. It depends on my mood and what I'm trying to get done.
-What advice would you give to artists who are new to Etsy?

Always take care of your customers. Good customer service is good marketing. Building a positive reputation by satisfying people is more important than pouring money into advertising and offering mediocre service. Also, make sure you take time each week to think of ways to grow, change and improve. If all you do is maintain your present work then all you're doing is treading water.
-What are your favorite features on Etsy? What new features would you like to see?

The reason I like Etsy is the visibility, size and attention it gets. This brings more traffic to the site and more sales to stores. Right now everything works for me so I have no suggestions for changes.
-How do you promote your work?

I always do whatever it takes to make customers happy, this generates positive buzz and referrals. I also send along a business card and thank you letter with each order. The letter simply asks them to tell someone about me if they are happy with the service. If you get a moment check out our blog too: www.stliving.com
-In ten years I'd like to be

...No idea, I don't live that far ahead in time. My experience has been that our expectations are never met, we may achieve more or less than we expect we will. I live most of the time in "today" with the realization that the past is dead and tomorrow is just a potential. I do my best to enjoy the moment I find myself in.


--
Want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)