Friday, January 15, 2010

#2 unofficial etsy featured seller - NotSoShabbyChic

#2 unofficial etsy featured seller - NotSoShabbyChic
Date joined etsy - 12/28/08
Sales to date - 709


-Tell us a bit about yourself name, location, affiliations, personal stuff.

My name is Rebecca, and I am a crafter from Long Island, NY. I'm 32 years old, my zodiac sign is Libra, I've been a vegetarian for 14 years, and I have 2 cats and a cockatiel.

-Apart from creating things, what do you do?

Other than creating things I also enjoy walking in nature, birdwatching, beachcombing, collecting things, watching trashy t.v., spending time with loved ones, playing with animals, chatting, playing games, reading old Victorian novels, and watching movies.

-What first made you want to become an artist?

I've always been a bit of an artist -- craftiness runs in my family, and it was highly encouraged and taught. My mom taught me how to knit, crochet, sew, embroider, latch hook, draw, paint, and many other things when I was a young child. Both of my grandmothers also knit and crocheted, among other things. I have always enjoyed making things myself from scratch.

-Please describe your creative process how, when, materials, etc.

I create every single day. I start off each day with some coffee and some Etsy chat, and then I begin to craft. I craft on and off all day long until I go to bed. The crafts I have been doing the most the last few months are needle felting, knitting, crocheting, and jewelry-making.

-What handmade possession do you most cherish?

The most-cherished handmade possession of mine has to be my knitted and stuffed jack-o-lantern scarecrow that my mom made for me as a child. I still have him to this day. :)

-Name your top five books, movies, songs/musical groups, and web sites besides Etsy.

My top five books are Jane Eyre, Alice in Wonderland, The Phantom Tollbooth, Valley of the Dolls, and Cat's Cradle. My top five movies are Napoleon Dynamite, Alice in Wonderland, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, a Christmas Story, and The Princess Bride. My top five musical groups are New Order, Depeche Mode, a Tribe Called Quest, Nine Inch Nails, and the soundtrack to The Nutcracker (eclectic, I know). And my top five websites (other than Etsy) are Yahoo, Facebook, Twitter, Ravelry, and Blogspot.

-What advice would you give to artists who are new to Etsy?


Advice I would give to artists who are new to Etsy is to have the following things: a great product that is either unique or something that people need; great photos; thorough policies; extra time and money to build your business; and a lot of patience -- it takes a while and a lot of time, work, and money for any business to pay off. New users also need to be aware that people will not buy from their shop if they do not know it exists: network, promote, and network and promote some more! Take advantage of free social networking sites like Twitter, Facebook, and Blogspot to get your shop name out there!

-What are your favorite features on Etsy? What new features would you like to see?

My absolute favorite feature on Etsy has to be the chat rooms: not only have I made wonderful friends in there, but I have also made many sales! I also love the Treasury feature; I love showcasing all of my fellow Etsians' beautiful work! I also really like the Facebook promotional tools that have been released in the last few months.

-How do you promote your work?

I promote my work by going in the chat rooms every day, by posting in the forums, by twittering my products and sales, by posting my work on Facebook, by maintaining a Facebook fan page, by keeping a blog, and by leaving my shop name in as many places as I can (e.g., by commenting on other peoples' blogs and treasuries, e.g.). I also do paid advertising at times and also did my first craft fair back in October.

-In ten years I'd like to be...

In ten years I would still like to be running my Etsy shop, I would like to be an advanced-level knitter and crocheter, and I would like to be more settled in my life than I am at the moment. Here's to the future! :D




--
Want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)