Saturday, January 16, 2010

#3 unofficial etsy featured seller - theclackhouse

#3 unofficial etsy featured seller - theclackhouse
Date joined etsy - 9/23/08
Sales to date - 379-Tell us a bit about yourself name, location, affiliations, personal stuff.

My name is Chasity Clack. I live in a very small town here in South Georgia. I'm married with 5 boys, 2 Step-daughters, 2 bulldogs and a pomeranian named Toby. =)

-Apart from creating things, what do you do?

With five boys at home I NEVER get bored. Most of time you will find me doing the normal housewife duties such as running errands, cleaning house and cooking (which is a favorite duty of mine, believe it or not) =)

-What first made you want to become an artist?

I started selling baby clothes and unwanted things around the house on ebay about 4 years ago. I fell in love with wax tarts when I did a search on Ebay for candles. After buying many that were not that strong, I thought "I could make these!" So I bought a small kit and it took off from there. I found Etsy two years ago and fell in love..I love how creative everyone here is.

-Please describe your creative process how, when, materials, etc.

My creative process often begins with inspiration from some type of food. My favorite thing is to add "frosting" to just about anything, as You can see in most of my listings. And most of the time trying to go to sleep but can't because I'm "working" in my mind. Once I've had my coffee I'm off to the kitchen to set up for the day. I usually start off by covering all the counters with wax paper, setting the molds up I need and any other supplies such as oils and dyes. I keep at least 50lbs of wax in the kitchen at all times so It can be easily accessed. My Hubby is in the process now of building an x-tra room just for my candle making! YAY!

-What handmade possession do you most cherish?

My most cherished handmade possession is a wooden toy box my Grandfather made for me when I was little. It even has my name wood burned on the top. He past away last year so I keep it close to my heart.

-Name your top five books, movies, songs/musical groups, and web sites besides Etsy.

My Bible
Lessons in Service by Charlie Trotter
Little House in the Prairie (the whole set)
I'm a mag kind of girl too ;)

The Gladiator
Pretty Woman
Steel Magnolias
The Goonies (classic)
The Lost Boys

Nickleback
Smashing Pumpkins
The Shinedown
A Static Lullaby
Weezer

Websites:
blogger.com
flickr.com
picnik.com
Facebook.com
Myspace.com

-What advice would you give to artists who are new to Etsy?

Taking great pictures is so important. It’s the only way your customer is viewing your work before they decide to buy. I find that re-listing is also very important to keep your work seen on Etsy. It’s really incredible and I’m honored to be a part of this community. Working really hard, and making quality work really pays off in the end.
Also, have GREAT customer service! I strive to give excellent customer service. I treat buyers how I want to be treated. After all, I am a buyer too!

-What are your favorite features on Etsy? What new features would you like to see?

I like the treasuries. And the Gift Guides. It helps me search that special item geared for a specific person. I also LOVE the forums. You will always find me "lurking" in there. When I first started I got so much info from the forums. A lot of helpful sellers there. And buyers!

-How do you promote your work?

Oh gosh, I do just about everything..
Twitter, Blogger, Facebook, Myspace, theblogfrog. Send out biz cards. Post flyers and attend local and non-local craft shows. I've had many sales come just from posting in the forums on Etsy! I'm still working on it. At first I hated promoting, but I have met so many wonderful people on the Web that way!

-In ten years I'd like to be...

In my own candle shop making TONS of sales!




--
Want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)