Sunday, May 2, 2010

#108 unofficial etsy featured seller - AprilHilerDesigns

#108 unofficial etsy featured seller - AprilHilerDesigns
Date joined etsy -5/11/09
Sales to date - 463
-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

My name is April, and I live in with my husband and three cats in New Braunfels, Tx-half way between Austin and San Antonio, in the Texas Hill Country. I have a BA in English from Hardin Simmons University and a BFA in Interior Design from the University of North Texas. While studying interior design, I worked as a floral designer for five years. After working solely in the ID business for a few years, I realized how much I missed creating things with my hands. Luckily, I found Etsy.

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

Right now, Etsy is my full-time job, and every day is different. After breakfast, I usually check my Etsy store, return convos, and renew a few items. After that, I pack up my completed orders and get them ready for the postman. Then, I make a list of all the items that need to be made that day, and get to work. I usually try to renew items and check convos a few times during the day, and once more before bed. Some days I have time to work on new items for my shop.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

When I was little, I really loved to make things and decorate my doll house. My favorite things were drawing and painting. Even as a kid, I liked to dabble in a little of everything.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

My original plan was to start a little side business, creating and selling holiday arrangements and décor at local arts and crafts shows. A friend of mine suggested listing on Etsy, which I hadn’t even heard of at the time. Even though I had doubts they would sell, I created a few wedding items and opened my shop. I was pleasantly surprised when I began making sales.

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

I was very fortunate to make my first sale just a few days after opening my shop. It was a small and inexpensive item, and probably the thing I least expected to sell. However, it was very exciting and motivated me to keep creating.
-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

Ice cream
Mexican
Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Biscuits and Gravy
Bread and Pastries

Gilmore Girls
Seinfeld
Friends
X-files
Curb your Enthusiasm

Neko Case
The Cure
Over the Rhine
Cocteau Twins

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

I’d really like to learn to make jewelry, and wish I had taken a class in metalsmithing back in college. I’ve seen so many beautiful and creative designs and the possibilities are endless.

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

I’ve found that renewing several items throughout the day to be very effective in getting me views. Also, offering items for blog give-a-ways and charity events. If you don’t already have business cards, get some and keep a few handy. You never know who you might meet that might be interested in your work.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

Whichgoose
SunshineandRavioli
BeanTownHandmade

-By December 31, 2010 I hope my number of sold items is... 1000!



--
Have a successful etsy shop and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)