Thursday, May 20, 2010

#126 unofficial etsy featured seller - dbabcock

#126 unofficial etsy featured seller - dbabcock
Date joined etsy -8/30/06
Sales to date - 984
-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

My name is Deb Babcock and I live in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. It's high in the mountains near the Wyoming border and is home to over 50 Olympians who have gone to various winter Olympics over the years. I am married to a wonderful man; no kids or pets. Boring as it is and contrary to the color and brightness of my work, I love vanilla ice cream.


-Describe an average day in life of "you".

My average day involves spending an hour over coffee and the newspaper in the morning; followed by going for a hike (summer) or skiing (winter) with my husband, then going into my studio for an afternoon of pottery-making, working on my etsy shop, shipping sales, etc. Late afternoon, I head home or meet my husband in town for dinner at a restaurant. Read a little or watch tv if I'm tired, and to bed. During the growing season, I try to get some gardening in, too. Also, I write a weekly column on gardening for our local newspaper---been doing that for 10 years now.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I come my creativity honestly, I think. My dad is a painter and does beautiful calligraphy and drawings; my mom sewed all my clothes and my doll's clothes when I was little; she now makes beautiful quilts.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

A friend told me about Etsy back in 2006 shortly after the site had been created. I was looking for a way to sell my work without having to lug pottery around to art and craft fairs or manage consignment inventories with shops and galleries or have to be tied to retail hours in my studio.

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

I joined at the end of August 2006 and within the first month had my first sale. I'm closing in on 1,000 Etsy sales now. My average sale is around $50.
-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

Favorites: Indian Food; French Food, especially desserts; NCIS and Law&Order; and most of the bands and music from the 60s as well as classical music. As a kid, I played cornet in an orchestra and traveled to England for performances -- hence my love of classical music.

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

If I wasn't doing pottery, another art form I would like to try my hand at is glass. Forming bowls and vases as well as lampwork beads, etc. I have tried knitting but don't have the patience.

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

To promote your etsy shop -- I would recommend joining a team like Etsy Mud Team or Team Etsy Project Embrace or Artisans Collective. The group helps you stay current of promotional opportunities, make treasuries, and provide general support. Secondly, keep your shop very fresh with new listings regularly and great photography. Thirdly, make sure everyone within your own personal network of friends, family and customers knows about your shop. List your etsy address on all emails and business cards, and other materials you might produce for promotional purposes.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

Three etsy shops I love. That tends to change and be updated daily as I learn about new and amazing artists who join our community. One of my favorites is Gaialai who I purchase beads from that I use as knobs on my pottery pieces. I just discovered a new jewelry maker whose work I love: knottybeads916. And, I'm very impressed with the quality of soaps at Sagegold. I purchase her soap for personal use and to give as gifts when someone buys one of my soap dishes. I believe in supporting etsy artists and love to buy from them as well as collaborate with them.

-One year from now, I hope my number of sold items is...

A year from now, I hope my number of sold items is double what it is today. Probably won't happen, but I'll do my best to try for that goal.
--
Have an etsy shop with over 300 sales and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)