Tuesday, May 25, 2010

#131 unofficial etsy featured seller - vadjutka

#131 unofficial etsy featured seller - vadjutka
Date joined etsy -8/7/07
Sales to date - 319
-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

I am Judit Wild, and I live in Budapest, Hungary. I have done many things in my life so far: first I studied photo journalism, then I was journalist for 10 years. While writing articles I finished my sociology studies, and started to work as a sociologist as well. I stopped writing articles 3 years ago, and now I work as a sociologist besides making jewelry.

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

I have a part time job, so I spend half of my week (2-3 days) in an office. I work as a market researcher for a big publishing house. On my office days I dont make jewelry, but usually I spend 1-2 hours with my jewlery shop: uploading new products, answering convos, updating my team’s blog (blog of the European Street Team, called: Hand Made Europe, link: http://handmade-europe.com/ ) and chatting a little bit with my team mates. The rest of my week is devoted to jewelry making. On these days I check my shop, convos etc in the morning, and then I make jewelry the whole day along. I have a lunch break (checking mails, uploading new products etc.), and then I continue with making jewelry. Usually I stop it around 7-8 pm, and I like to go out a little bit for a few hours to clean my brain.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

Yes, I was. I remember myself as sewing clothes for my Barbie doll, sewing bags and pillows for myself in elementary school. In high school I was making earrings, but I stopped it after a while, and did not even do anything "creative” for 10 years. I continued making jewelry 10 years later (in 2002) where I stopped in high school.
-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

I have been selling my jewelry since 2003 in small shops and via e-mail, so I just wanted to try a new method. And Etsy looked so inspiring, with full of inspiration and visual inputs.

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

5-6 days. I was thrilled


-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

Croissant with butter and orange juice, Jasmine tea, Oi va voi (this is a band).


-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

Yes: I want my own sewing machine – it has been a dream for me since high school. At the moment I live in a very small flat, and my fabrics and jewelry supplies are already taking over my flat, so I dont have room for a sewing machine. But I am sure I will have one in the future!

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

I would suggest for the very fresh sellers to participate in giveaways (they can always submit it to etsygiveaways.blogspot.com), and to trade with others. A lot of people dont believe in paid advertisements, but I do - with limitations. If you see the ad campaign as a tool introduce your brand to new people, and do not expect instant sales from it, than I think blog advertisements can help. I dont say, that everyone should spend a lot on this, but it worth a try on well-establised blogs, that have reasonable prices for the beginners. Also, listing/ relisting couple of times a day is very good.

And one last thing: I just bumped into this post on rikrak’s blog – she is offering a kind of tutorship for those who want to develop their handmade business. She is a very experienced and helpful seller, maybe it is a good idea to ask her advice once or twice.

http://rikrakstudio.blogspot.com/2010/05/hire-cheerleader.html


-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

http://www.etsy.com/shop/fleurfatale


http://www.etsy.com/shop/irisoconnor

http://www.etsy.com/shop/annarubyking


-One year from now, I hope my number of sold items is... 700.

--
Have an etsy shop with over 300 sales and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)