Saturday, February 6, 2010

#23 unofficial etsy featured seller - sophiehillartist

#23 unofficial etsy featured seller - sophiehillartist
Date joined etsy - 4/26/07
Sales to date - 808


-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

My name is Sophie Hill and I am lucky enough to live in Launceston, Tasmania, Australia. My home is filled with my family and my Birman kitty Blossom (featured in some of the photos - she's a darling model!) and my big ol' Labrador dog Jazz - who guards our house and loves a good lamb shank on a hot summers day! I have a major soft spot for English Breakfast Tea, croissants with homemade strawberry jam and I definitely prefer winter over summer!

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

An average day in the life of me can be one of two ways - Wake up at around 7 - 7:30am, check my email/blog/facebook/every-other-social-networking-thing-I've-got-going, breakfast and all that, and then either off to my bread & butter job in fashion retail - or back to the desk for some much needed designing, making and putting together orders - oh and a few hours spent reading my favourite blogs! I am the resident chef of our home and "knock-myself-off-work" at around 4:30pm in order to get dinner ready for the family - I love cooking! The adventure of cooking is so exciting!

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I have been armed with a pen or pencil or paintbrush since as far back as I can remember - always had crayons, textas or play-dough to play with as a child. My mother has a very strong artistic flair with water colours and acrylics, my sister is incredibly nifty with the camera. We all love the buzz of creativity and getting on an inspirational roll! It's amazing that we all have something different from one another - yet are tied together by the creativity factor!

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

About three years ago, I stumbled across Etsy and started out as a "hearter" - I found so many things that I loved the look of, but was always fearful of buying online - it was only until I thought I'd take the major risk of buying something, that got me truly addicted - I remained a "shopper" until January 2008 - in which I listed my first few items - from there I have experimented with all sorts of selling techniques to draw traffic to my store. I think that having been a "shopper" for so long, has helped me grasp a greater understanding of what is important to having a good-working online store - Who really wants to sift through a lot of jargon to find the perfect find?!

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

My very first sale was on the 28th of March 2008... just over two months after I had listed my first item - yes, it was a painful wait, but once you get a few sales under your belt, you are motivated to do more with your shop and make it bigger and better!

-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

Top 5 Foods:
Tasmanian Blueberries, Escargot (!!!), Oysters, Sourdough bread, Avocado.
Top 5 TV Shows:
Gourmet Farmer, Grey's Anatomy, The Flight Of The Conchords, Brothers & Sisters, The Simpsons.
Top 5 Bands:
Camille, Incubus, Bat For Lashes, Paramore, The Beatles.
(Can't rank any of these! Love them all equally!)

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, etc.

I would love to learn how to knit/crochet. Back when I was about 6 or 7, my Grandmother (from New Zealand) came over for a holiday and taught me how to knit. I made a rainbow-yarn scarf (it was pretty rough and way too long!) - I'm sure I still have it somewhere. I have since forgotten how to knit-one-pearl-one!

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

My biggest suggestions to new Etsy sellers - HANG IN THERE! It all takes time and patience - and like the saying goes: "Rome wasn't built in a day." - I suggest that you bookmark (and use) the Etsy Shop Lovers website - http://www.craftopolis.com - and keep a check on the treasury clock - if you are going to spend money on renewing items, renew them just prior to the treasury's opening. Also make the most of your tags - if you have a bird in your item go nuts with bird-related words. The photo's of your work are the MOST important part - afterall, they are what sell your product/item - why list something that looks blurry and discoloured? I suggest (if you are listing a small item like jewellery) use the macro setting on your camera - this will help capture the detail of the item.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

The Etsy shops I am currently in love with are:
1 - http://www.etsy.com/shop/saralagace - amazing knitted furry gloves, so cute!
2 - http://www.etsy.com/shop/emilymaysparks - ahh more knitted beautiful pieces, including crochet items that have a current-vogue feel to them!
3 - http://www.etsy.com/shop/lollypoptrees - I am obsessed with wall decals at the moment and lollypoptrees have some amazing ones!

-By New Years Eve 2011 I hope my number of sold items is ______.

NY 2011: 1000+ ...Close to 800 already, I hope I get over the 1000 mark this year!



--
Have a successful etsy shop and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)