Monday, February 8, 2010

#25 unofficial etsy featured seller - PetitCoterie

#25 unofficial etsy featured seller - PetitCoterie
Date joined etsy - 11/22/08
Sales to date - 589
-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

My name is Michelle Corrao, I life on the Gulf Coast, I have a wonderful daughter and an amazing husband who is always so supportive and encouraging.

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

I always laugh when I am asked this question, as I know no one would like to trade places with me. I start my day at 5:00 a.m. checking emails first then working on orders as well as new designs. I work until 6:00 and I then mentally have to close up shop or I will continue to work. Not very exciting, but I love what I do so I can’t think of a better way to better spend my day.

Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

Actually I was a tomboy growing up, my greatest pleasure was always being outside no matter what the weather was like. I don’t think I really started being creative until I was in my 20’s. Then my passion for interior design started and I would work on projects that could transform a room by painting pieces I already had or sewing duvets and even curtains.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

I started making my French grain sack style pillows and through the encouragement of friends I decided to give Etsy a try. I remember telling my husband that it would be fun if even 5 pillows a week sold on Etsy.

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

I opened my Etsy shop on November 22, 2008 and I had my first sale on November 26th. I really didn’t do a lot with my shop until January as I was so busy with the holidays.

-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

My top 5 favorite foods are, Italian, Chinese, barbecue, Sushi, and good old American meat and potatoes. I don’t watch a lot of TV but I still like Grey’s Anatomy.

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, etc.

I would love to take a class on cake decorating and learning how to make perfect fondant. I am amazed at some of the gorgeous cakes that people do. I just think it would be a fun diversion.

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

This is a really good question. I know many sellers get discouraged when they are not making sales on Etsy and it is easy to see other shops getting lots of sales and wondering what is wrong with my items. I believe there are always customers that are looking for certain items on Etsy so it is important to make yours stand out. Spend the $7.00 to showcase your items and write good titles. Be original, just because one seller has made lots of sales does not mean they should be copied. I also believe that blogging is a wonderful way to attract customers.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

Blaithin Blair Natural Designs, gorgeous natural wreaths.
Blue Bird Lane has been one of my favorites for years. She makes wonderful unique tags.
Sadie Olive is a wonderful shop full of unique items and she does an amazing job with her photos.

-By New Years Eve 2011 I hope my number of sold items is ______.

I hate to say this, but I really don’t pay that much attention to how many sales I have. I do pay attention to my repeat customers as well as the comments that are emailed to me. I feel if I am offering my customers new and interesting items the sales will continue to increase. I love nothing better then putting a new design up and watching the response. When a new item sales the first day it is listed then I know I am on the right track.

--
Have a successful etsy shop and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)