Friday, July 9, 2010

#160 unofficial etsy featured seller - WoodlandBelle

#160 unofficial etsy featured seller - WoodlandBelle
Date joined etsy -4/16/09
Sales to date - 902
-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

I'm Mai Mckemy, and I live in the beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina. I graduated from Appalachian State in 2007 and pretty much went straight into being an artist. I work as many as 14 hours a day filling orders and working on new concepts.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I, like many artists, was very creative as a child and loved all things miniature, a love which is still reflected in my current body of work. I enjoyed creating miniatures for my dollhouse as a child. I think a playfulness and a fascination with tiny things is still an important factor in my work.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

I discovered Etsy through a happy accident while reading a blog online. I was searching for a job teaching art in the public schools at the time, and while I waited for openings, I began to make and sell plush embroidered felt picture frames.
-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

I made a sale on my first day of listing, but it took a long time before I made regular sales after that. I finally found my niche in making jewelry and accessories.

-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

I don't watch TV, but some of my favorite foods would have to be fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as anything chocolate (of course!) My top 5 bands would have to be Jeremy McKemy (http://www.myspace.com/jeremymckemy), Sufjan Stevens, the The Peasall Sisters,The Decemberists, and Five Iron Frenzy.
-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

I would love to try to work on my cardmaking skills; I've always had a great love for paper goods. It's something I enjoy doing as a hobby, and I would not be interested in selling them, though my family and friends have suggested that I market some of the cards I've created. I think it's important to have something you enjoy that's just for you, that you don't have to worry about marketing or trying to sell.

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

I love to help new Etsy sellers, and I have some advice that's been collected here: http://www.etsy.com/storque/how-to/creative-careers-after-the-diploma-woodlandbelle-8350/
But I would say that it's important to believe that you have something unique to offer the world, then make the very best and most unique product that you can. It can be discouraging to try to get noticed in a vast sea of talent, but have faith that you can make it happen! Being successful often has more to do with your attitude than your luck.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?
SharonMontrose, SatinandBirch, and SmockPaper.

-One year from now, I hope my number of sold items is....

It's hard to say what I'd like my sold number of items to be; I think it's important not to get caught up in numbers, but to enjoy the creative process. I hope to triple the amount of sales that I am currently getting, and I think that that is a very feasible goal in a year's time. But I am thankful for each and every sale that I receive, and am thankful for such a wonderful career.


--
Have an etsy shop with over 300 sales and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)