Wednesday, July 28, 2010

#176 unofficial etsy featured seller - MiniCyn



#176 unofficial etsy featured seller - MiniCyn
Date joined etsy- 4/7/09
Sales to date - 380

-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

In a nutshell, my name is Cynthia aka Cynth, Cynbad, Cynthetiser. Ever since our last dog chihuahua 'handsome' died I haven't been able to let go, so I tend to run in to poles whenever I see one on the street. Last week, I ran into a big sweaty guy's chest... my husband just stood there and laughed I didn't even get a tissue or anything. Speaking of my German hubby, he is the reason why I now live in Paris, France. We moved from Australia a year ago because he missed the cold climate?! Anyway, here we are now. I'm originally from Malaysia but my family immigrated to New Zealand when I was a wee chickadee, it's been almost 3 decades since. That I think was the start of my zest for the wanderlust, and that's how I met my partner on one of my many back-packing trips around the world.

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

An Average day for me starts quite simply the minute my hubby leaves for work 'cause it'll definitely be around half 7am.; everything from checking email, sales, convos, make jewelry, design, go to post office, buy supplies etc. I use to work 'til the night when it first started, I felt a lot of attention needed to be put into it just as much as I did for my previous work... it never seemed to stop! Nowadays on weekends, we try and explore Paris and I not to go near my jewelry bench!

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I wouldn't say I was 'creative' as such, it was just part of everyday play/life. Mum use to like showing me how to make things from scratch from anything like a pencil case to baking our first short bread biscuits! Mum was also working full-time(next door) so that has taught me to juggle many projects in one go. My favorite past time was actually to simply draw from real life pictures with pencil and read horror books.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

I was a Graphic designer/Illustrator by trade before Etsy for 14 years and a jeweler before that for just 2 years. When we moved to France I thought it'll be a great idea to change career as I cannot imagine being an employee again let alone applying for a job in French. I had a hobby Etsy shop though before starting Minicyn for destashing jewelry I made for fun. Whilst I started to learn about the ins and outs of online selling I became confident that this could be a potential portal for my next career move, combine with independence and sans office politics what more can a sane person need!

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

I can't remember when exactly, but I do remember getting very excited when it happened as anyone would.
-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

Any food with garlic or chili's got my name on it oh yeah. Just as well my teeth are short and small so I'm no good as a carnivor, love my veges, and BIG on seafood. I don't have a sweet tooth hmmm only on occasion. Food is one of the top 3 things that my partner and I have in common too, we're both epicureans by heart and love cooking.
I've never been to much of a TV watcher, though I get a kick from shows like Six feet under, Dexter, make-overs etc. Was into bands and music buying when I was in NZ and Australia but life in Paris so far has taken a different turn for me, so that's been put on the back burner whilst the french radio plays on. Here's a small eclectic list of bands I use to dig; Holly Golightly, Crystal Castles, The Roots, Nick Cave, Nightmares On Wax, Roy Ayers, Thievery Corporation just to name a few. Some french pop bands I'm digging: French Cowboy, Christophe Mae, M etc.

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

Actually, I'd love to try my hands on up-cycling a vintage/antique old chair or cabinet when I get a proper work space one day.

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

First and foremost, know what you're promoting and to whom... really. Take a step back as a potential buyer and look at your own stall, ask yourself if you'd buy it? Be honest, if not why not? Have an overall direction of your business and ask yourself where you want to move on to next(if you're serious about it). From there, you'd know who your buyers are... picture your kind of buyers. Where would they be? Flickr? Blogs? What kind of Blogs etc. Promotion will then come naturally through an understanding of your product/market. Start with no budget I dare you, be creative!

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

I truly adore LOADS of Etsy shops, too many to mention. No doubt the ones for me are the ones who make the real effort to take lovely pictures to represent their wares and pride themselves with good craftsmanship is what I admire.

-One year from now, I hope...

.., to have a Medium to big studio/work-room and free of any office politics still!

--
Have an etsy shop with over 300 sales and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)