Monday, July 12, 2010

#162 unofficial etsy featured seller - curlygirlglass

#162 unofficial etsy featured seller - curlygirlglass
Date joined etsy- 12/7/06
Sales to date - 1276
-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

My name is Judi Goldblatt and I live in Portland, OR with my dog Koko (who I just got from the Humane Society last January). I bought a nearly 100-year-old house last fall which requires a ton of work and I'm starting to renovate. When I can and the weather cooperates - this is Portland after all - I like to be out in the garden, renovating that too.

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

I wouldn't say there is an average day, more like an average week. Every weekend I vend at the Portland Saturday Market (which is every Saturday and Sunday from March through Christmas http://www.portlandsaturdaymarket.com/) and this is my primary source of income. This is what I do for a living, so I spend a big part of my time either answering emails, working on Etsy or custom orders, making inventory, etc. Interspersed between jewelry is working on the house and garden, walking the dog, attempting to make bread, chatting with my neighbors, napping in the hammock, and getting ready for the next weekend's Market... well, you get the idea.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I've been making art all my life. Fortunately, I had parents who nurtured my creativity and I started taking various classes (outside of school) from a young age. I did everything from making paper maché animals to painting murals in my bedroom (like I said, Mom and Dad were very understanding).

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

A year or so before I started selling on Etsy, I started working in stained glass. While I really enjoyed making windows and such, I wanted to find a way to make wearable stained glass. I was at a point in my life where a job had just ended and Etsy seemed like a great way to bring in some income. I started making stained glass earrings and necklaces to sell.

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

I had my first sale my third day on the site. I thought "Here we go. This is EASY!" Wellllll, while I have had basically regular sales since I've been on Etsy, it hasn't been so easy and I've sometimes had to do things - like make findings - to get my name out there.

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

My degree is actually in painting and drawing. Over the years, I have tried loads of media: printmaking, photography, beadmaking, clay, stained glass, etc. I used to bake bread weekly and I did try taking flute lessons for a while. Homeownership has had my try my hand at roofing, tiling and mosaic, wood refinishing, furniture refinishing and a host of other things I never thought I'd do. Of course, I always see things I'd love to try, but there's only so much time in the day.

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

First, make sure your shop is selling for you: do you have 5 good pictures? are your description descriptive (size - in inches and cm, how it works, colors it comes in, etc)? Remember, people can't touch or try on your product. Are you well tagged so your product comes up in searches?
I'm not always great at promotion and for some of us it's hard, but don't be shy. If possible always wear or carry your product and always have business cards on you. Use social media sites (but spamming is unattractive!). Tell everyone you know. Don't forget to use Etsy as a great resource for information too.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

Three? There are a lot, but here are a few randoms from my favorites: Experimetal, obsoleteworld, thegoodmachinery, yogagoat, chartwellprint, sugarsusan, mincingmockingbird, mujoyas

-One year from now, I hope...

To have my bathroom finished and have more of an understanding of how to grow eggplant.

--
Have an etsy shop with over 300 sales and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)