Tuesday, July 13, 2010

#163 unofficial etsy featured seller - amye123

#163 unofficial etsy featured seller - amye123
Date joined etsy- 5/15/09
Sales to date - 301
-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

Hello! My name is Amy of amye123. I live in Mauldin, SC with my 5 year old son, Harper. I love light, bright colors, front porches, daisies, old barns, paint on my hands and time with Harper.

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

I'm not sure I've ever had a typical day. I am an awful grouch in the mornings. Harper usually wakes me with the "Good Morning Song". Then I stumble to the coffee maker and wonder why it hates me. (Everything seems so much more difficult in the morning.) Next, I make breakfast and Harper and I shake off our sleepy cobwebs. Harp and I usually spend our mornings together so my work day doesn't officially begin until after lunch when he takes a nap. I then check my convos, paint, take pictures, package... whatever is called for that day.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I was a pretty imaginative child. I remember spending hours trying to make glue from scratch, then gluing just about anything I could find to my walls. I drew and wrote a lot. I've always been a bit introverted and stubborn. If I wanted something, I would make it out of something lying around the house. (Dear Parents: sorry about the silverware, the sheets, the jeans my dad thought he lost...) I can't remember many times that I bought a present for a friend. It was usually handmade (again, sorry parents for the items I used to make these gifts). Soon, friends started requesting items and that's how it all began. My parents are probably very relieved that I have turned to thrift stores for my materials.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

I worked as a wedding and events coordinator before selling on etsy. It was long hours and little pay. I missed my son, I missed my time to create, I missed Saturdays. I had been browsing the pages of etsy for a while and was itching to try my hand at it. So, I opened my shop. In the beginning, I had mostly untouched vintage items. I was outside everyday painting. I would paint a piece, package it and leave it in the yard for a week to endure the weather. I really wanted to make sure the items would ship without being damaged. I can be a little neurotic at times. My first item to sell was a set of awesome vintage mugs a little over a week after I opened my store. I was thrilled. When my first upcycled piece sold, Harp and I danced through the house.
-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

Ughhhh... favorite bands. Such a hard question. I love music and wish I had some small bit of rhythm. So... only 5? Ok. Right now I've been listgening to:

Mumford & Sons (I honestly swoon when I hear his voice)
Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros
Brandi Carlisle
The Swell Season
The XX

My favorite foods are:
Eggplant Parmesean
Spicy Tuna Maki
Mali Kafta
Reese Cups
Just about any kind of cheese

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

I've been trying to learn light carpentry. I'd like to make all the tables that are floating around my head.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

(again, only three?)
the poppy tree
tim sally
j parker ryan

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

I think new sellers need to first of all remember that it takes a little while for things to take off. Don't lose faith in your craft. Keep at it. I really don't promote as much as I should. I renew items, join flickr groups and that's about all. I have a really hard time promoting myself (introverted, remember). I'm getting better though. Etsy has helped me find a network of amazing artist, crafters and vintage sellers who I can't help but want to talk with. This world is full of amazing talent and etsy is magical.

-One year from now, I hope...

In a year... I hope I'm happy. I hope Harper is happy and healthy. I hope my family is strong. I really hope I can hire an assistant because packaging tape is my mortal enemy. I would like to be be brave enough to introduce some of my illustrations. An awesome barn for a studio wouldn't suck. Other than that, life is pretty good and I don't want to be greedy with my wishes.


--
Have an etsy shop with over 300 sales and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)