Monday, July 19, 2010

#167 unofficial etsy featured seller - Goobeetsa

#167 unofficial etsy featured seller - Goobeetsa
Date joined etsy- 5/27/07
Sales to date - 398
Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

My name is Brian Gubicza. I live with my wife, Jen in Beverly,MA on Boston's North Shore. My Current favorite Ice Cream Flavor is Snickers.

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

Most mornings are spent packaging/mailing orders.
I do my illustration work during the day, and in the evening hours I trace and cut animals for my
wife's plush business. We try to take a nice long walk every evening to escape our computers.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I was very creative as a child. My dream was to be a cartoonist.
Most days I drew and constructed things with which to play.
I even once built a rudimentary soap box racer out of an old picnic table and some lawn mower wheels. It was great on steep hills.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

I had had some success selling my work in a few art shows, and decided to offer my work to a much larger audience.

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

If I remember correctly, It took (1) week to sell an item.

-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?


Earl Grey Tea
Corned Beef Reuben (on rye)
Pad Thai
Chocolate Cake!

TV Shows

Fawlty Towers
Rocko's Modern Life


John Williams
Bernard Herrmann
David Arnold
Danny Elfman
Hans Zimmer

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

I compose music and enjoy cooking, but I would really love to make more of
a study of both.

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

If you have a product people will enjoy seeing and buying.
Show it to them. Research your target audience and attend fairs

Offering your work for consignment /wholesale, (in shops that you respect) is a great way to expand the size of your audience.

Create a free series of well-made tutorials; or discuss your process. Get everyone interested!

Don't take a lack of sales personally. There are slow times (especially summer). Use that time for work and research.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

-One year from now, I hope...

to be making art and living happily with my wife.
Have an etsy shop with over 300 sales and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at
As always, thanks for reading :)