Monday, July 26, 2010

#174 unofficial etsy featured seller - TheFancyLamb

#174 unofficial etsy featured seller - TheFancyLamb
Date joined etsy- 1/29/09
Sales to date - 664-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

My name is Robin. I live in a 1920s bungalow in St. Louis, MO with my husband and my 3 rambunctious dogs -- my boys (all 4 of them!) are always getting into all kinds of trouble. I like Diet Mountain Dew, the ocean, live music, and metal zippers, among other things.

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

The Fancy Lamb is my full-time job so, although every day is a bit different, each day is usually all-consumed with working. My favorite type of day is filled with treasure-hunting all over the city: estate sales, thrift shops, antique malls...you get the idea. Other days I might spend doing a photo shoot, listing new things in my shop, or working on some handmade goodies like my vintage book journals ( http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFancyLamb?section_id=6021196 ). I work pretty much 24/7 and rarely take a day off, but it doesn't feel like work! I'm doing things I enjoy doing and on my own terms.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

Growing up, I was always surrounded by projects and "making." My mom sewed her own clothes when she was younger. My grandma was in love with photography. My stepmom decked me out in the most elaborate Halloween costumes. My dad painted, sculpted, built things, and dabbled in lots of different mediums. Throughout it all, I tried all kinds of different things too. I remember, at 13 years old, I would settle in front of the TV in the evening with my latest cross-stitch project!

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

Actually, I think I did things backwards from most people... Rather than testing the waters on Etsy and then expanding the business, I started out doing craft shows. (I have a few handmade product lines including my vintage book journals, sewn goods from vintage fabric, and some other odds and ends which I occasionally list on Etsy). When I had leftover inventory from my shows, I decided to list it on Etsy. It snowballed from there, and I also started listing some unaltered vintage pieces. Gradually, my shop has evolved into one that is primarily vintage, but I still do a few local craft shows each year.

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

Wow, I had to look this one up! And I'm quite surprised to report that my first sale came 1 day after my first listings went up. However it didn't all come easily -- the first few months, my shop was incredibly slow and it was a major uphill climb to achieve steady sales. Finally, I got into a groove where I was able to list new items 4-5 days a week. Keeping my shop fresh and active has been the most successful tactic for generating and maintaining business.
-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

Food: sushi (specifically, philly rolls), chocolate (duh!), tiramisu, Jack-In-The-Box tacos, and pesto (super healthy list, right?)
TV shows: Mad Men, Dexter, Big Brother (so excited a new season just started!), and most trashy reality TV shows
Bands: This is so hard to narrow down! My number 1 favorite band is Wilco. Other than that, I'll just list the most recent shows I saw: Blitzen Trapper, Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeroes, The Black Keys, and The Dead Weather

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

Yes, yes, and yes. I like to try it all. :)

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

In addition to keeping your shop well-stocked and fresh, getting involved in the Etsy community is so important! I have met so many wonderful Etsy friends through the teams I'm on, Twitter ( http://www.twitter.com/TheFancyLamb ), making treasuries, and just generally reaching out to get to know people. Self-promotion is over-rated, but if you scratch other peoples' backs, they'll scratch yours. Karma will always take care of you.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

Allen Company Inc.
Elle Moss
Miniature Rhino

-One year from now, I hope my number of sold items is...

1500. Don't hold me to that though!





--
Have an etsy shop with over 300 sales and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)