Monday, August 2, 2010

#179 unofficial etsy featured seller - midnightcoiler

#179 unofficial etsy featured seller - midnightcoiler
Date joined etsy- 1/26/08
Sales to date - 296
-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

I'm Lynn Hoyt, and I go by Midnightcoiler on Etsy. I live on a 75 acre rural property in the wilds of Eastern NC. Our area has black bears, bobcats, wild turkeys, white tailed deer and lots of other creatures that we happily co-exist with. We enjoy organic veggie and flower gardening and have a small home orchard where we grow apples, pears, peaches, plums, berries and figs. I also grow all the gourds I use in my work. I'm inspired by nature and gather or grow many of my materials myself. In another life I was a garden designer. Ethnobotony is a major interest area, and my work often reflects some of the primitive technologies that make up the history of early craft and art. My husband and I have two rescue dogs, a black lab mix and a bad-boy mutt, and we love to spoil them! Favorite ice cream flavor? Chocolate, and that goes for just about any other sweet.

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

Wake up and check the computer, then the news on tv! This time of year I get outside in the garden early to avoid the heat, harvest veggies and tend to my gourds. We always grow more veggies than we need so we can share with friends. I spend a lot of my time on the computer, busy with the Etsy Treasury Team, which I founded, and tending my Etsy shop. In between computer time, my day often includes working on a current project: basket, gourd, clay or wood. I also write for three basketry publications, which seems to take up more and more of my time. Cooking is a daily activity, and other less interesting types of housework demand some attention at times. Dinner is accompanied by news programs, and then after more computer time with maybe a movie break while working on a project.
-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

For as far back as I can remember, drawing and painting were enjoyable activities, when I wasn't playing Annie Oakley or riding my bike around the neighborhood. Since childhood I wanted to try as many creative mediums as possible. Through the years some things I've worked at were silk screening, lino cuts, candle making and stained glass, now gourd art, basketry, clay and wood. I love mixing media!

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

I'd been doing shows since the 70's and was tiring of the the physical labor and rising costs involved. My husband suggested Etsy, and I signed on but didn't start listing for several months. Once I started listing I loved it!

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

It took about a month. A friend surprised me and kindly bought the first item from my shop. Of course, back then I didn't realize how important good photos and promoting my shop was. I've learned a lot since then, and am still learning every single day, and enjoying the process!
-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

Foods: Vegetarian Indian food, fresh picked corn on the cob, limas, tomatoes and any veggie from the garden, pasta, cheesecake, chocolate anything.
Tv Shows: Sorry, news/politics junkie here.. Anderson Cooper 360, Hardball with Chris Matthews, Bill Maher Show, Fareed Zakaria GPS, Movies
Bands: Loreena McKennitt, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, eclectic Celtic, 40's

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

I'd love to learn how to work wood with a lathe.

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

Well, of course, hone your photography skills and use every tool Etsy gives you to make your shop the best it can be. My best advice is to join a supportive team that actively promotes, and be a very active member of that team promoting others. It will come back to you. Success takes a lot of effort and time, and a willingness to always improve along the way.
-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

Only 3? This is just a sampling of the many shops I love!
Purpletoedgypsy- wonderful creative woven wearables and sculptural pieces.
Mymothersgarden- beautiful nature inspired pottery for outdoors and in.
Intentions- I could bathe in her body butters! Love the soaps too.

-One year from now...

My wish is I'll still be healthy, loving what I do, learning new things, enjoying and supporting my friends and teammates, old and new.



--
Have an etsy shop with over 300 sales and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)