Monday, August 30, 2010

#200 unofficial etsy featured seller - obsoleteworld

#200 unofficial etsy featured seller - obsoleteworld
Date joined etsy- 12/10/06
Sales to date - 1298-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

My name is Jeannie Paske, I am a self-taught artist with the exception of the one year I spent a lot of money that I didn’t have to go to art school. I live in Portland, Oregon with my husband and old Alaskan Malamute. I like the look of sunlight through leaves, open fields on windy days, stop-motion animated films and most recently, ping pong.

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

I spend my days moving from one activity to the next and then back again. Usually, I am working on anywhere from three to ten paintings at a time. I sketch, paint, stare at my laptop and package up prints. I frequent the post office and work a few days a week as a bookkeeper at a local pet supply store to help pay the bills. Other than creating art, I spend my time going for walks with my dog, gardening or catching up on a good book when I have the chance.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I was quite fortunate grow up in a creative family. I spent a lot of time drawing with my siblings as a child. I also spent a lot of time outdoors. Imagination was a valued gift from early on.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

A friend of my husband’s came for a visit and suggested that I start selling on Etsy in the winter of 2006. I had quit my full time job to pursue my art, relocated back to Portland and was looking for a place to showcase some of my work online other than my website. Etsy turned out to be a really wonderful thing.

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

I listed some prints around seven o’ clock one evening and had my first sale within an hour. Etsy was a little less crowded in those days and your listings stayed at the top of their categories for a bit longer, so people had more of a chance to find them. I was thrilled to have a sale so quickly.

-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

Raspberries, coffee, cereal, grilled cheese and tomato soup.
I don’t have a lot of time for television, but Twilight Zone, Arrested Development, Northern Exposure, Curb Your Enthusiasm and the Muppets are some past favorites.
I have a difficult time narrowing bands down to just five as I spent a decade of my life working at a record store, but lately I like the Books, Owen Pallet, Penguin CafĂ© Orchestra, William Basinski and my husband’s music project, Eluvium.

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

Yes! All of the above as well as sculpture and filmmaking.

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

Social networking, art/craft fairs, a good blog and website.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

Manymuses, Irenesuchocki and Sgstucky

-One year from now, I hope...

to have a book finished, a short film in the works and be doing some extensive traveling.
--
Have an etsy shop with over 300 sales and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)