Wednesday, August 4, 2010

#181 unofficial etsy featured seller - Bluebirdlane

#181 unofficial etsy featured seller - Bluebirdlane
Date joined etsy- 3/23/07
Sales to date - 11926
-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

Hi! My name is Donna Ross and I'm addicted to digital artistry. I live in a small town in GA with my husband of nearly 39 yrs. We share our home with Charlie the Nearly Perfect Dog (I cannot recommend rescue dogs enough!!!!)and Puss the Drooling Lover Cat (part Maine Coon). We have two lovely daughters, a great son-in-law and three wonderful and precious grandchildren (precious twin granddaughters live in Sicily and precious grandson lives in Gulf Shores, AL).
Not a big ice cream fan here. Unless it's soft serve it nauseates me...too rich. But in keeping with the dairy theme I do enjoy cottage cheese with fruit.

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

My average day begins between 6-7 a.m. I grab my far too large wad of keys and follow Charlie down the stairs and out the door to my studio. He goes on to "Doody Alley" (making sure I'm not looking at him), takes care of business then joins me in my studio (tho he's in and out all day long). I check my email then Charlie and I make a trip to the mailbox and deposit packages that are ready to ship. Back to the studio and I begin work on new orders. I love it when I can find time to design new pieces tho many times that is done late at night.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I've always loved creating things and as a child I would get lost in examining insects, animals and plants...anything that didn't sting, bite or emit an irritant! Actually the stinging, biting and irritating fluids weren't much of a deterrent... much to my parents dismay. Painting and drawing were favorite pastimes.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

I heard about Etsy from different blogs and forums. Checked it out and thought..."Cool"! But it took about a year from discovering it to becoming a participant. I was amazed at some of the talent found on Etsy and tho I didn't regard myself as "talented" I decided to open a shop and put out a small selection of items.

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

It was hardly 20 minutes after I had finished listing that I sold two pendants. I was hooked! My first offerings were pendants, stamped and aged tags, journals, things such as that. Tho I still enjoy doing those things I no longer have the time so I stick with tags and cards now.

-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

I keep a TV on wherever I happen to be. Most often it's on a news channel...not only keeps me company but keeps me current on what's happening around the world and here in the states.
I enjoy most types of music but I guess classical tops the list.

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

I can't say that there's anything new I'm yearning to try at the moment...but ask me next week!

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

For you newbies out there the best advice I can give you regarding promotion of your shop is to remember you are promoting yourself as well as your items. Relist often or list new items as often as possible to keep yourself in the running. Offer a great product at a great price and you will succeed! Remember that customer service is top priority!!! Let your customers know that you care enough about your product and them by describing honestly and adequately, packaging well enough so that it arrives in perfect condition. Tho most don't expect fancy packaging keep in mind that how you present your item reflects greatly on you! Would you want to receive a wonderful handmade item in a used plastic bag? Neither do your customers...:)

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

There are so many wonderful shops on Etsy but my very favorite is SatinandBirch. Her soap is as amazing as she is! I have sensitive skin yet can use any of her soaps! Each soap is a piece of art!
For graphics I love OlgasDesigns and FrenchKissed Their offerings are truly inspirational!

-One year from now...

Looking ahead, maybe next year I will start offering some of my designs as digital files that can be purchased and printed for personal use. But then again, maybe not....lol! Who knows what will happen in a year? Not I!!!

I'd like to thank you Lauren for this opportunity to tell a bit about myself. It's been a pleasure!

--
Have an etsy shop with over 300 sales and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)