Tuesday, August 31, 2010

#201 unofficial etsy featured seller - dippylulu

#201 unofficial etsy featured seller - dippylulu
Date joined etsy- 8/22/07
Sales to date - 2422
-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

People either call me Dippy or LuLu. It isn't anywhere near my real first name but I've been called those names for over 20 years so it's kinda stuck with me. I split my time between Vermont, London, and France. Yes, I am extremely lucky and tell myself that every day. I will eat almost anything once apart from foie gras.

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

In Vermont it's kicking back with Mr Dippy and making lists of things that need to be done that never get done. I also work on my shop and try to get those ideas that have been hanging around my head into production. In London it's commute to work doing the daily drone. In France it's arguing with French builders and getting nowhere fast with them.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I guess everyone answers this with a big astounding yes, don't they? I think most kids are creative but it's how they channel it. I was obsessed with logos and packaging from a very young age and would even collect cigarette boxes off the street because I thought they looked stylish. My mum didn't like me doing that for obvious reasons.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

I was a buyer for a while and suddenly thought I may as well have a go. I didn't have any clue what I was going to sell. It just developed as I went along.

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

This is going to sound odd, but it was 20 minutes. I know. I couldn't believe it either. I was not prepared, had no clue what to do, and was giddy with how much silly money I was going to make. OK, so reality set in when it took 2 weeks for the next sale. ;)

-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

I don't own a TV so that makes it difficult to keep up with the trash TV I like to follow. Thank gawd for the internets. Food could be the local Thai to beef pho to homemade moussaka to roast dinner made by Mr Dippy to frites from a trashy van on a side road in Lyon. I feel too old to name any bands. Way too old.

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

Mr Dippy attempted to teach me how to play the piano but when it came to using two hands I lost it. I have zero hand eye coordination. Soap making has always intrigued me as does any kind of B&B craft. I have an incredible sense of smell to make up for the 2 left hands.

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

Gosh, that's a hard one. I think it's extremely difficult to be new on Etsy these days. Of course have the best photos you can possible take (I'm STILL working on that) as they are your key promotion for the product. And just having something for sale that people want and at a price they will pay for it. Without that all the best promotion in the world will not sell your stuff.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

I have way more than 3 but these are the first 3 that come to mind:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/bipolarbettygoods -- I desperately want to be as clever and funny
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ArtMind -- Super stylish
http://www.etsy.com/shop/lilarubyking -- Really gorgeous jewelry

-One year from now, I hope...

To be alive and healthy. I don't think I have the right to ask for anything more. :)

--
Have an etsy shop with over 300 sales and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)