Thursday, March 4, 2010

#49 unofficial etsy featured seller - georgiagracedesigns

#49 unofficial etsy featured seller - georgiagracedesigns
Date joined etsy - 9/21/07
Sales to date - 353
-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets,
favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

HI! I'm Jordon! I live in Tampa, Fl with my hubby, Dan, and three kido's. Georgia & Gracie will be 5 in May and Henry is almost 6 months. We have a poodle names Captain Stinky Pants. We call him Stinky and he likes it. I'm just a mom with a desire to create, design, and maintain a happy home. I don't like ice cream. Seriously. I began sewing as a child and it's turned into a wonderful creative outlet and business.

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

There is no such thing these days! I've got a 5 month old who rules my world. Sometimes he sleeps & sometimes he doesn't so I adjust. On a good day, I get the girls ready for preschool and my hubby drops them off. Henry usually stays happy until the moment they walk out the door, babies know these things, and then he needs some "mommy time". The rest of the morning seems to waiver between Henry time and sewing time. I sew when he sleeps and I sleep when he sews. No wait, never mind. I try to get as much done in the mornings because by 7pm I am ready to go to bed and usually do around 9pm. I am not productive in the evenings at all.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I was creative I think. My mother and I made hair bows and sold them at craft shows. Gosh, that was 20 years ago now but I remember really enjoying it. I learned to sew but didn't do much with that when I was younger.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

After I had my girls I was really picky about what they wore. I knew what I wanted and it was hard to find so I lugged out the sewing machine and started sewing again. With that came requests to make things for other (and flashbacks to selling hair bows) and it all just fell into place. When I found Etsy in early 2007 I didn't even understand what it was. Once I realized that it was I was in heaven and never looked back!

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

Okay, I know this isn't typical... but I sold a dress before I even finished my first round of listings. I know exactly what dress and still remember the buyer like it was yesterday.

-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

Favorite foods; pasta, baklava, carrot cake, Diet Dr. Pepper, and good bread.
TV... I've been hooked on Burn Notice, actually all those USA network shows are about all I watch.
Bands; The Laurie Berkner Band doesn't make me want to hurt someone and since that's about all I listen to I'll go with it.

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing?

I've been trying to teach myself to crochet but it's a slow process. Mostly it's a matter of lack of time and I think I would do better if I had someone to show me rather than pictures in a book. I'm still trying. I've also been slowly playing with photography. I like to learn things slowly and see where they take me.

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

Don't be afraid to brag on your product (that's still hard) and find your market. For example, I know a lot of people in the on-line sewing world but I don't promote a lot in that crowd because they aren't the people who are buying handmade clothing. They are great contacts, not customers.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

Simplyjcrochet.... I just bought two hats for my son and they are FABULOUS, great prices too.
StephanieFizer...ADORABLE original artwork, perfectly sweet
saratams...custom stationary, I did my Christmas address labels and gift stickers with her and I LOVE, LOVE them.

-By December 31, 2010 I hope my number of sold items is ______.

Honestly, I don't have a number. I appreciate each sale and I remember almost all of my customers. I want people to love the clothing they purchase and I want to love making the clothing. So if I can do that while selling 100 pieces a week, great! If it's just one piece a week that's great too. I will admit it's hard not to focus on that number and it is very exciting to watch it climb!




--
Have a successful etsy shop and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)