Thursday, March 25, 2010

#70 unofficial etsy featured seller - randitan

#70 unofficial etsy featured seller - randitan
Date joined etsy - 2/7/06
Sales to date - 386-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

My name is Randi Tannenbaum and I live in Maryland. I have 2 wonderful grown daughters who are each artists in their own right. I get my most enjoyment from being able to work in my studio, creating art using bits of the flotsam and jetsam I come across everyday.

-Describe an average day in life of “you”.

I don't have an average day. I am more like the guy on the old Ed Sullivan show who used to spin plates on long poles. He would run from plate to plate spinning each a little so that they would all stay up in the air. I'm that guy, except instead of plates, I run from project to project to order...

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I have always been drawn to the creative side of things. Barbie only interested me as a canvas for strange and bizarre hair-dos and costumes. Call it a compulsion to create. I started selling my art out of necessity - when I no longer had room to keep it all.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

I found Etsy pretty early in its growth and thought that it would be a wonderful way to quickly get pieces in front of an appreciative audience. I have been doing this for more than 20 years, and I sell several different ways, but you cannot beat Etsy for ease and speed and return on your investment of marketing time and money.

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

It took me about a month to get my first sale on Etsy. Sales really took off once a couple of art magazines saw my work and wrote about it. Blogs like yours also play a large part in pushing the art on Etsy. Thank you!


-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

Favorite foods, t.v. etc.? - I'm too fickle, but I AM convinced that the meaning of life may be revealed on LOST.

-Is there anything you’d like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

I would like to try my hand at everything! I always have 4 or 5 projects, in a drawer somewhere, of new crafts I am learning. Now I know I suck at knitting.

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

There is a LOT of art on Etsy. Be patient. The investment of time pays off slowly but surely. Pay for showcase spots - it is incredibly cheap marketing. And take advantage of any other vehicle that gets your work out there.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

Only 3? I find 5 new favorites every day! Right now I am enjoying the work of these 3 shops that also work with recycled materials:
seen1.etsy.com
sevenply.etsy.com
AmaliaVersaci.etsy.com

-By December 31, 2010 I hope my number of sold items is ______.

By 12/21/2010 ... there is no telling where my sold # will be. If I can continue to get exposure like this, the sky is the limit.
--
Have a successful etsy shop and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)