Friday, March 19, 2010

#64 unofficial etsy featured seller - almapottery

#64 unofficial etsy featured seller - almapottery
Date joined etsy - 12/4/06
Sales to date - 755
Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

My name is Lavinia Hanachiuc and at the moment I live in one of Detroit's suburbs.I used to carefully plan my move every couple of weeks and at some point I've made it as far as living for a year in Yokohama ,Japan but now I'm back and learning to love Detroit for the time being.I have no pets ,one child ,I like straciatella ice cream (http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/diaryofafoodie/2008/02/stracciatellaicecream) .If I had a pet it would be the breed of dog I had growing up and I still remember as a gigantic fluffy somewhat smelly furball I tried to sneak in my bed at night http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mioritic.jpg . I was born and raised in Transylvania.

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

I wake up around 7 with the exception of the days I go to the gym and I have to drag myself out of bed at 5. I spend the first hour in slow confusion then I get hurried and start doing lots of things at once. By the time I get out of the home, yelling lists at my husband dragging the child to school and trying to apply make up with on free hand is 5 min before I'm really late. The rest of the day is basically the same. I run to the post office, buy groceries ,cook ,read my email, calls,pick up the kid, go rollerskating, hockey practice, play date, park, depending on what day it is. All this time I think about stuff I would make and try to take mental notes. I carry a sketchbook at all times and write important things down. I work in the evenings and at night and I usually spend the weekends by myself working in clay.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I was drawing and painting since I was 3 years old, by the time I was 14 I went to a specialized art high school where I did everything from ceramics to printmaking techniques or designing.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

I met a friend at an art show and she told me about it. In the beginning I didn't want to sell I just wanted to meet people,the forums were amazing and I remember spending the first weeks online until 4am each day.I still know many of the artists I've met at that time but everyone quieted down in the last year .

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

After I set up shop with my items it took around a week.I remember the excitement of having a sale it was around 10$ and I lost half the money because I didn't figure out the correct shipping.It was still awesome.
-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

foods:
sashimi
mashed potatoes,steak and salad
crepes with honey
earl grey
espresso
tv shows

I don't have a Tv but I wasted a week of my life watching the entire Lost season on Hulu. Still can't believe it was all about the black smoke creature.
Better off Ted
Curb your enthusiasm
The office
House (but I skip most medical parts because they make me queasy )
bands;

Franz Ferdinand
Deus
Tom Waits
Tricky
I also love Skin's voice from skunk anansie(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWkpqb6Zo3k)

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

I would like to learn to dance fandango and metalworking

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

I think good pictures are the best way to go. They get you in interesting treasuries which increases your front page exposure. Buying some online adds works well too and making sure you keep your shop stocked and fresh looking even if it means rotating items you already have. I make sure I change my featured items for a new look every couple of days.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

this is going to be so hard to choose

http://www.etsy.com/shop/benconservato
http://www.etsy.com/shop/artlab
http://www.etsy.com/shop/nanopod

-By December 31, 2010 I hope my number of sold items is 1000.


--
Have a successful etsy shop and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)