Sunday, March 28, 2010

#73 unofficial etsy featured seller - mck254

#73 unofficial etsy featured seller - mck254
Date joined etsy - 3/5/06
Sales to date - 899-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

My name is Mimi Kirchner and I live in a suburb of Boston, MA. I am married, have 3 mostly grown-up kids (20's), and a goofy orange cat named Mango. And the ice cream thing? Boston is the ice cream capital of the world and we have so much high quality and interesting choices, so what is my favorite? Soft serve with a chocolate dip. Yes, a bit embarrassing.

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

Get up, spend an hour (minimum) on the computer doing email, reading my morning blogs and my favorite advise columns. Then, upstairs to the studio. Mornings are my best work times- if I don't get to the studio in the morning the day is usually shot. I listen to podcasts and audiobooks while I work. Lunch and a little more computer time. If I have orders, I turn into the shipping department. Walk to the Post Office and do any other errands. Back to the studio, make dinner, more computer- evening blogs, studio, bed.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I come from a family where making was part of our life. We spent lots of time drawing, banging boards together, cooking, and being outside. I'm not sure how creative I was- I didn't think of myself that way. I was always very interested in all kinds of needlework and fiber arts. I did embroidery, knitting, sewing and moved on to batik, macrame, and all the other hippy arts of the late 60's and early 70's when I was in High School.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

I was made aware of Etsy through the many craft blogs I was reading at the time it started up. There was a lot of buzz about it. Many bloggers whose work I liked were opening shops and seemed to be having some success. I was blogging too and decided that it would make sense to use Etsy as my online shop instead of trying to set up something on my own. It seemed a very risk-free experiment since the cost for entry was so low.

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

I opened my shop on March 5, 2006 and made my first sale on March 25. After that, I didn't make another until June 1, which seemed like a very long time.

-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

Foods- chocolate, tomatoes from the garden, almonds, fresh peaches, half-sour pickles.

I haven't been around a tv for so long that I don't have any favorite shows. I sometimes catch some of the Daily Show online and I do love Jon Stewart.

No bands either. I have very eclectic tastes in what music I listen to- which is encouraged by our local college radio station, WERS. The music ranges from show tunes to A cappella, kids music, classic rock, soul. I let it all flow past. Oh, and then I love any kind of music if one of my kids is singing it.

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

I want to try drumming someday. And in my dreams I'd learn to speak another language.

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

Join an Etsy team or two. If there is not one that seems right for you, start one. I got so much out of being part of a local team during my first few years on Etsy.

That said, my standard advise to people who ask me is don't expect Etsy to do it all for you. Etsy should be one part of the way you sell and promote your artwork. I have been blogging for 6 years and have slowly built up a following. I also participate in the Flickr craft community which is amazing because it is so international. I love Twitter. Facebook continues to confuse me. I do some retail markets and meet people and hand out cards. I teach classes. I say yes to anyone who wants to interview or profile me and use my images to promote my work on their blog. All those things drive traffic to my Etsy shop.

I have never done the things that are often recommended- I've never participated in the forums- too scary! I don't relist. I've never made a Treasury. If you focus on the marketing that feels comfortable for you, you are more likely to do it consistently. You don't have to do everything!

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

So many! If I had an unlimited budget for Etsy, I'd run over to-
Rob Ryan- http://www.etsy.com/shop/misterrob
Natalya Sots- http://www.etsy.com/shop/natalyasots
Chroma Lab- http://www.etsy.com/shop/chromalab

-By December 31, 2010 I hope my number of sold items is ______.

2000

--
Have a successful etsy shop and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)