Monday, March 29, 2010

#74 unofficial etsy featured seller - BeckyM

#74 unofficial etsy featured seller - BeckyM
Date joined etsy - 4/18/07
Sales to date - 1106-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

My name is Becky Morello. Currently, I live in Florida. My husband is in the military so we move quite frequently. I have 2 girls. Sydney is 3 years old and our new daughter, Aubrey, is just 2 months. My favorite ice cream is Bluebell's Cookies and Cream - hands down.

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

My first job is being a mom. I stay at home with my girls so my crafting time is very sporadic. I craft here and there throughout the morning and afternoon, as time allows. I answer emails and relist items throughout the day. My girls have early bedtimes so in the evening is when I get most of my stuff done. I will excerise to get my mind clear and then sew! Some nights are sewing on the machine and other nights are hand sewing on the couch. I usually hit the sack around 10 pm. I have to say I usually get large chunks of work done on the weekends when the hubby is home to help out.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

Definitely. I loved to play with dollhouses so I would make tons of things for them - tiny clay food, blankets, tissue paper flowers, etc. My mom taught me how to sew. She quilted. My dad hobby is woodworking. I definitely got the "crafting" bug from them.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

I thought what I made was cute and thought "Why not?" I love to make things but there is only so much that will fit in the house. I was hoping it would go well so I could still create but not keep it all.

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

Honestly, I don't remember. I was registered on Etsy for awhile before I actually listed my goods. I had to muster up enough courage to take the leap.

-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

My favorite foods are cupcakes (even though I don't discriminate against any sweet baked good) and watermelon.
I like to watch Fox News, The Office, and Chuck.
My favorite band is Shane & Shane and listen to them while I am home. I usually listen to fast beat top 40 while excerising. I enjoy broadway music also. I don't think they could be any more different from one another.

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

I would like to knit or crochet. Although, I realize that I would rather know how to do a few things really well than just be a "beginner" in a lot of things. I also enjoy supporting other artists and their talents.

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

I think your photos are everything. You get picked for treasuries when you have great pictures and therefore make it to the front page. Also, the Etsy staff will use your pictures for Storque articles and gift guides - which bring a lot of exposure. I think relisting just 1 or 2 items a couple times throughout the day is key too. I recommend just doing 1 to 2 items, not your whole shop all at one time. People get an idea of what your shop offers without having to spend multiple dollars everytime you relist.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

There are so many talented artists on Etsy. I can't believe the level of some of them. It's incredible.
www.Nataliaraya.etsy.com She makes the most lovely jewelry. Sterling silver, pearls, and flowers - oh my!

www.magicbeanbuyer.etsy.com I love her little figurines. So charming and cute!

www.BornWithIt.etsy.com She makes the absolute cutest bird rattles ever.

I have something from all these shops and I can't say enough about them.


-By December 31, 2010 I hope my number of sold items is ______.

Quite honestly, I don't have a goal. I just take one day at a time. I am still humbled and thankful that I have had success.

--
Have a successful etsy shop and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)