Wednesday, September 8, 2010

#207 unofficial etsy featured seller - verysweetbows

#207 unofficial etsy featured seller - verysweetbows
Date joined etsy- 2/10/08
Sales to date - 1433-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.
My name is Fagan and I live in rural Texas with a raucous collection of kids and dogs. I am very firm in my belief that BlueBell is the only ice cream fit to eat.

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

This is my full time job and I work a lot. Between Etsy and my web site I really have to put in some serious hours. During the school year my main workday is limited to the 5 hours between school drop off and pick up. With homework, diner and (some but never enough) housework it's generally around 9 before I can get back to work. My main challenge is staying focused and motivated, but sometimes the call of something new is too loud and I abandon the stack of orders that I "should" be working on for some creative fun.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I have been obsessed with all things textile since I was a little girl. I learned to crochet when I was 8 and it has been a lifelong love. I was sewing doll clothes, weaving baskets out of grass and generally being a book worm and craft nerd while the other kids were playing sports or watching tv. Nothing has really changed, it's just my job now!

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

As soon as I visited Etsy for the first time I loved it! It was such a refreshing and creative atmosphere. I opened my store the same day.

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

Maybe a day or two....not very long.

-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

TV seems like a huge waste of daylight to me, so I only watch at night after I'm in bed. The only exception is Glee, which I record and watch religiously. During the day I listen to Big Band and crooners from the 40's and 50's.

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

I do suffer from craft A.D.D and try new things continually. I've been flirting with knitting for several years but can't seem to commit since I'm so at ease with crocheting.

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

Etsy is a very crowded marketplace now and your items really MUST be different or unique in some way to stand out in the crowd. If you are making something that a hundred (or more) other sellers are making, you must figure out a way for your items unique in some way. Even better is to make something that few other people are doing. You don't have to re-invent the wheel, but a new spin on an old idea is what will get you the sale before the other guys. The number one most important thing are your pictures. Do whatever you have to do to get or take good ones, they are your main appeal.


-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

CandyLandBeads
ElegantSnobbery
JanetHillStudio

-One year from now, I hope...

To have another 1400 sales and still be doing the work I am so fortunate to be able to do! I can't imagine doing anything else.

--
Have an etsy shop with over 300 sales and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)