Monday, September 20, 2010

#215 unofficial etsy featured seller - lisahopkins

#215 unofficial etsy featured seller - lisahopkins
Date joined etsy- 5/8/08
Sales to date - 784-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

My name is Lisa Hopkins. I live in West Lafayette, Indiana with my husband, Mark, and our two dogs and three cats.

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

A typical day in the the studio begins with answering emails and convos and packaging new orders to ship. I update QuickBooks, take care of other administrative paperwork, and review my "to do" list for the day. I then get started on studio work, creating and finishing new pieces or sketching/drawing/lettering new designs. A good work day for me is one in which paperwork and interruptions are at a minimum and I can focus on creating. I usually photograph newly finished pieces late in the afternoon, create new Etsy listings, and write out my to-do list for the next day.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I've enjoyed creating as long as I can remember. When I was quite young I used to write and illustrate small handmade books. I still have a couple of these and wonder how I came up with the stories. I loved art class in school and I remember classmates would ask me, "are you an artist?" I always found this question puzzling and my response was something like, "no, I'm just a kid like you." I thought you had to be an adult to be an artist. My grandma actually was a professional artist, a painter, and when I'd visit her she'd give me lessons. We would paint side by side, with her instructing me. I loved those visits.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

I got my feet wet selling letterpress cards in my other Etsy shop, paperdragonfly, shared with my friend, Julia. We were both longtime Etsy buyers, loved the venue, and decided to try selling our cards. Selling on Etsy was such a great experience that I opened my jewelry shop several months later.

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

Two weeks.

-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

food: guacamole, chocolate, roasted tomato basil soup, my husband's homemade manicotti, my mom's homemade jam.

I don't watch much TV but I've recently gotten hooked on the new series Covert Affairs.

Music playing in the studio lately includes: Lisa Hannigan, Bela Fleck, Rachael Yamagata, Teitur, Tori Amos

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

I've been interested in learning glass blowing since taking a hot glass workshop.

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

I recommend making a habit of carrying business cards--there are plenty of opportunities to hand them out. If what you sell is wearable, like jewelry, wear your work--it gives people the opportunity to ask you about it. I've been fortunate to have been featured on quite a few blogs. It's hard to beat that exposure and I'm grateful to the bloggers who have featured me. My facebook business page (http://www.facebook.com/lisahopkinsjewelry) is a helpful promotional tool for me and I've also recently started a blog (http://lisahopkinsdesign.blogspot.com). I recommend starting a mailing list. Give people the opportunity to sign up and then send out an email newsletter. I send one out quarterly. Joining an active Etsy team can also be helpful. I'm a member of two fantastic Etsy teams: the Artisans Collective and HandMade Division.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

It is hard to choose, there are so many....
Here are three I've purchased from. I love their work:
lottahelleberg
modernbird
WoodElements

-One year from now...

One year from now I'd like to be enjoying my work as much as I do now while finding a bit more time for other interests and activities.

--
Have an etsy shop with over 300 sales and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)