Tuesday, April 6, 2010

#82 unofficial etsy featured seller - lilpeeperkeepers

#82 unofficial etsy featured seller - lilpeeperkeepers
Date joined etsy - 12/1/07
Sales to date - 861

-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

I'm Rebecca - wife to my Prince Charming (and growing still to appreciate him more!), mama to five children, four here to hold and one waiting in Heaven, pastor's wife, homeschool mother, and business owner. Phew! I think I feel a yawn coming on =)! We live in beautiful Northern Tennesse, but I will admit to having been born and bred a Yankee. Most of my growing up years were in the "Green Mountain State" of Vermont. We currently have no pets, but look forward to getting a Great Pyrenees (let's start small, right) or two once we move into a home of our own.
My mother taught me to sew about 23 years ago. Since that time I have use countless miles of thread on various projects. In the past years, my sewing time has been almost exlusively devoted to our Etsy shop where we focus on natural fiber baby carriers in three styles - the ring sling, pouch sling, and wrap. Each of the carriers sold comes with an instructional DVD so that no matter what level of babywearing a caregiver is at, they can learn to safely and confidently carry with the sling using different holds. I have had the joy of using baby slings with two of our children and have enjoyed the closeness (and help to my back) that the slings helped to nurture. To me, the complete peace of a child snuggled close is a reminder to me of the most precious aspect of my life - the eternal security that I have in my salvation through Jesus Christ alone!

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

Now should this be how I plan for it to be or reality? Let's see . . . I may plan to get up at 5:00, but after going to bed at 1:00 and sometimes having a special rendevous during the night with my nursling, the more normal scenario is that I sleep through the alarm and wake up at 7:00! Then I try to spend some time in Bible reading and prayer to begin my day with a right focus. Getting breakfast for our family (even if it's just cereal), working to tidy the home, and helping to oversee homeschooling normally ends up filling most of the morning. I fill in cracks of time with sewing and packaging slings. Our children get tucked in fairly early, and my husband and I on nights without church or appointments settle down in the study where he will study and I sew. We'll talk over anything and everything over the whir of the machine and enjoy each other's company. We cherish that together time.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I have loved to make things and to sell things for as long as I can remember. I recall planning and plotting for an in-the-yard craft sale. Yes, yes, I was one of THOSE children =). So, for me, our Etsy shop is a girlhood dream come true!

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

I am not sure who introduced me to Etsy, but the focus on handmade items and reasonable start-up expenses piqued my interest, I'm sure!

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

I believe it was about 10 days, and I was so very excited!! 'Still am with sales =).

-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

If it's food, I normally like it =). I'm thankful for a mother who made me eat everything that she served. To this day, I can eat scrambled eggs, thanks to her training!!

Now as far as the TV shows, well, everyone brace yourselves. 'Ready?? We don't have a TV. WHAT??? Seriously, now. Would I be able to have a shop and sew items if I had a TV sitting there? And, quite frankly, I don't miss it. We find that in a matter of minutes we can find out the weather forecast and the news with a few clicks on the computer - and at any time of the day or night. We enjoy the quality and quantity of time that we enjoy with our children in its absence.

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

I don't think that I had better adopt any new hobbies. My fabric takes up quite enough space =). I love to play the piano.

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

Before even getting a username, I would reserach, research, research. Research the product you are thinking of producing - find out the best way to make it, the best components to use, and the best sources for those components. Then, once you have some product made, take quality pictures. It's super if you can come up with a standard way and lighting that you always use for your pictures (kind of your 'trademark,') so that people can spot your listings easily. Don't start your shop until you have a number of items (maybe 6-10) and at least 4 quality pictures for each. Take time on your descriptions, making sure that they are grammatically correct and thorough. Then, make sure that you re-list a couple of items frequently enough to keep your items on the first page or two at least once a day. Consider this as part of your business start up costs. Also, find an inexpensive way, like Vistaprint, to get professional looking business cards and promotional materials.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

www.beadsidemyself.etsy.com
www.handmade.etsy.com
www.jjkgirlythings.etsy.com

-By December 31, 2010 I hope my number of sold items is ______.

I would love to double our sales to 1700 by December. That will probably be the maximum volume that I can handle without parceling out sewing. And I don't plan on doing that. Right now, I make all the items in the shop, and answer all of the emails. We'd sure love to have you stop and shop with us. We focus on the natural fibers like silk and linen in our carriers, which provide the optimal blend of strength with versatility and breathability. The three carrier types offered also allow for great flexibility. Pouch slings are great for simplicity, rings slings for all-around versatility, and wraps for very extended wear. The instructional DVD also serves as a helpful tool to use with the purchase. So, grab your cup of (I'm definitely in the South now) ahem . . . 'sweet tea' and shop our 100+ choices of carriers. We'll look forward to seeing you soon!

--
Have a successful etsy shop and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)