Wednesday, April 14, 2010

#90 unofficial etsy featured seller - melaniefavreau

#90 unofficial etsy featured seller - melaniefavreau
Date joined etsy - 6/20/07
Sales to date - 970Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

Hi! My name is Melanie Favreau and I'm a jeweler from the great city of Montreal. I live with my wonderful boyfriend and our 5 cats. My favorite ice cream flavor? Pistachio! :)

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

First I get up, open my laptop and check if I sold something during the night (hi Australia!) and answer my messages while drinking a nice tall latte. After a good breakfast, I usually go to the post office. Then, I get to work on some orders or new stuff. I also tweet all day! http://twitter.com/melaniefavreau

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

Growing up, I was drawing all the time! I loved to draw people and things that I saw during the day, like a little diary.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

I started selling on Etsy because I always wanted to be my own boss. I was pretty tired of working for other jewellers and I needed to express my own ideas, make my own stuff. Working for other jewellers gave me the skills I needed but, after 5 years, it was the time to take the plunge!

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

Lucky me, I started to sell 2 weeks after I set up my shop and it never stopped! It was a custom order for Alice, the girl behind The Carrotbox, one of my favorite blog: http://www.thecarrotbox.com/


-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

My top 5 favorite foods? That's easy! Everything that my boyfriend can cook is usually pretty awesome! Which is perfect because I can't cook at all! He cooks it, I eat it, it's perfect! That's what you can call a "dream team" lol!

I love to watch tv! I even got my own personal video recorder to be sure that I won't miss anything! So, I watch all kinds of tv shows except reality tv...I just don't get it. I really don't!

I love to listen to: Rufus Wainwright, Radio Radio, Johnny Cash, Lady Gaga and Dean Martin.

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

There's so many things I would like to do! But it's hard for me to do different things at the same time. I have to concentrate on my jewelry and nothing else. But if I had to choose something, I would love to be able to sew!

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

To promote my shop I use Twitter, I also have a blog http://melaniefavreau.tumblr.com/ and a Flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/melaniefavreau . You got to take good pictures! My pictures are not as good as I wish they would be but, I think I'm getting better each time. I beleive that, if you make something special, if you love what you do, somebody somewhere is gonna find you! Keep the faith! Never give up!

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

There's a lot of awesome Etsy sellers out there! I love:
Leah Giberson www.leahgiberson.etsy.com I got her work all around my house!
Valhallabrooklyn www.valhallabrooklyn.etsy.com Love my purple Lynx bag!
Stepanka ceramics www.stepanka.etsy.com


-By December 31, 2010 I hope my number of sold items is....
I should get to a 1000 items sold before the end of the year! Can you believe this?! :D


--
Have a successful etsy shop and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)