Wednesday, April 7, 2010

#83 unofficial etsy featured seller - theBeadAerie

#83 unofficial etsy featured seller - theBeadAerie
Date joined etsy - 4/3/08
Sales to date - 334-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

Hi there! My name is Peggy and I've been selling on Etsy for just about 2 years now.
My home is in central California - the *other* wine country! - about 30 miles south of Sacramento. I have a son and daughter who are grown, and both live over the hill in lovely San Francisco.
My husband's and my remaining 'child' is a sweet, lazy 12 year old Siamese mix who answers to "Buster".

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

A typical day begins by logging on to Etsy to see if the items number has decreased overnight, then packaging up any orders and heading off to yoga. On the way home I'll stop by the post office, which is just a couple blocks from my home, and mail my package(s). Then it's home to answer any correspondence, do some clean up around the house, and finally to retreat to my studio (my son's former room - enclosed photo) and create some jewelry.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I don't remember a time when I wasn't creating something! One 3rd grade memory entails watching the classroom clock, anxious to get home and sew a new outfit for my Barbie that I'd just designed during math class.
The high school art room was my haven, and though I didn't formally major in art, I took tons of art classes in college. I've dabbled in drawing, painting, printmaking, photography, and ceramics. Also trompe l'oeil e.g. the sunflowers I painted on my dining room wall several years ago - and the banana tree in my studio.
-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

My introduction to Etsy was through a friend who works at the local beadstore. She gave me the website addy, and after scoping it out, I began setting up shop. My first photos were abysmal, but I did manage to sell a couple items within the first month. Then... nothing for weeks. I slowly improved my photos and descriptions, and started making treasuries, which soon became another passion!

-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

Favorite foods would have to include the hot and spicy tofu soup at our local Vietnamese restaurant, most Mediterranean food, and all the fresh produce that our region has to offer. Unfortunately, I also have a killer sweet tooth and I can actually 'hear' anything that's bittersweet chocolate calling my name!

Favorite music playing in my studio at the moment: Iron & Wine, Kings of Convenience, Ulrich Schnauss, Mark Knopfler.. the list goes on.
I don't watch much television, but occasionally catch the Daily Show, or Colbert on comedy central, the Dog Whisperer, or Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe.

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

There is something I've wanted to try for some time now: skydiving. My husband presented me with a gift certificate a while back and I plan to use it as soon as the weather warms up a bit.
I'd also love to take some more advanced metalsmithing classes and learn how to set stones... it's definitely on my 'to-do' list!

Suggestions for new Etsy sellers would include:

- Work on your photography - it's what will sell your products!
- Write excellent descriptions, including measurements in both metric and English versions.
- Network with other sellers and find a way that YOU enjoy to promote your shop. As I mentioned earlier, the way that I've enjoyed promoting my shop is through curating treasuries. But with the changes that Etsy is making and the demise of member curated front pages, I've joined a team that will be promoting team members' shops through paid advertising.
- The forums provide some excellent advice for newbies, and there's also a list of mentors if you have specific questions.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

I'm in awe of the talent that permeates Etsy, and trying to name just 3 shops that I love is virtually impossible, but here goes:

SilverSparrowDesigns

GlazedOver

HelenGotlib

And by December 31, 2010, I'd like to see 550 sold items in my shop!


--
Have a successful etsy shop and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)