Monday, April 19, 2010

#95 unofficial etsy featured seller - hierapparel

#95 unofficial etsy featured seller - hierapparel
Date joined etsy -6/16/07
Sales to date - 920
-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

My name is Laura Good. I live Chicago with my boyfriend and our four cats. Other than sewing, I love cooking, learning about food/natural medicine, cycling and practicing yoga. I recently started volunteering at a community garden in my neighborhood and I'm having a great time digging in the dirt, learning about farming and making new friends.

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

I always start with breakfast and coffee and then get started on correspondence. Some days I make a trip to a fabric store or post office or stay in the whole day working on orders or new designs. I take breaks for lunch, afternoon tea, kitty petting and to enjoy the courtyard when the weather is nice. I usually stop working around 8pm, make dinner and enjoy the evening with my boyfriend. Sunday is my day off and I do anything, but work.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I have always enjoyed creative activities. My mother taught me to sew when I was little and that is the extent of my sewing education. I enjoyed art class and drawing, but my main focus growing up was ballet. I studied ballet seriously during my teenage years with the intention of pursuing a career in dance. That desire faded after high school and I became interested in making films and sewing.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

I was searching for a way to make a living off my creativity, specifically clothing design and Etsy seemed like a perfect launching point. The shop setup is very user friendly, it's inexpensive and there's lots of room to be experimental. Not to mention what an amazing global community it provides.

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

20 days

-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

cherries, dark chocolate, raw almonds, spinach and eggs
I don't watch much tv.
Thee More Shallows, Cat Power, Animal Collective, The Books, Grizzly Bear

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

I would love to learn how to make cold pressed soaps. I have some ideas about scent combinations that I don't see others making. I'm also interested in learning more about hand dyeing fabrics and maybe some day shoe making.
-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

I always fall behind on my advertising/promotion goals, because there just isn't enough time in a day, but these are things I try to do.
-Favorite other sellers work that you like. This creates a connection between you and many others. If I like someone's work, I look at their favorites and always find something new.
-Renew a couple listings a day or every other day. This keeps your items from being buried deep within the thousands of listings.
-Start a facebook fan page and/or blog and keep it active.
-Purchase a spot in an Etsy showcase.
-Make sure your images are clean and interesting without being too busy. Good photos are essential when the customer can't physically interact with the item.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

Yasha Butler, Laura Lombardi Jewelry, Nadinoo

-By December 31, 2010 I hope my number of sold items is ______.

1500

--
Have a successful etsy shop and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)