Monday, April 12, 2010

#88 unofficial etsy featured seller - SweetMeats

#88 unofficial etsy featured seller - SweetMeats
Date joined etsy - 11/18/05
Sales to date - 285-Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

My name is Lauren Venell and I live in San Francisco with my husband and an ornery Parrotlet named "Elvis."

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

An average day is really boring to read about: it involves checking my e-mail over breakfast before going in to my part-time day job working on ads for a movie web site. In the afternoon I come home and play/talk with Elvis for a little while, then take care of correspondence again before dinner. After dinner I pack up orders and post to my blog and various social networking sites. If I'm lucky I get to do some of this with the television on. If I'm REALLY lucky, I get to work on some other fun crafting projects before bed.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

I was very crafty growing up, which I inherited from both my mom and dad, who have a passion for quilting and woodworking, respectively. I spent almost all my free time as a youngster making things in a little carpeted room in our basement. I even had a small craft "business," selling miniature clay animals on the sidewalk in front of my house for ten cents apiece. They were very popular!

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

It was just so darned easy! No web design or shopping cart set-up needed. Just some words and pictures, and I was all set!

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

I honestly don't remember. It was five years ago! Not too long, though, maybe a few weeks.
-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

Food: bubble tea, hot chocolate, mozzarella sticks, molten chocolate cake and tenderloin steak.
TV: Arrested Development, The Wire, 30 Rock, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The Muppet Show
Bands: Metric, New Buffalo, M.I.A., Liz Phair and Pants Pants Pants (but there are so many more)

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

I have the supplies to take up embroidery, crochet and felting, but no time yet. I'll get there, though. I have faith.

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

List often, favorite other people's shops, and contribute to the forums!

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

deelind, girlontherocks and my husband's, burninghouseSF

-By December 31, 2010 I hope my number of sold items is 350.

--
Have a successful etsy shop and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)