Saturday, April 17, 2010

#93 unofficial etsy featured seller - preciouspastimes

#93 unofficial etsy featured seller - preciouspastimes
Date joined etsy -12/28/08
Sales to date - 573
Give us some basic info about you: name, where you live, kids/pets, favorite ice cream flavor, etc.

My name is Jennifer Lynn Loper, and I’m the proud owner of the Precious Past Times Antiques and Design Studio, aka Precious Pastimes on Etsy. As an artist, antiques dealer, and life long antiquarian, salvaging and reworking reclaimed materials is a labor of love for me.

I’m a single mom with three kids (currently) - one fantastic son and two adorable Toy Pomeranians. My shop helps support all of the innocent little animals that I’ve rescued, so that number can change at any time.

I’ve just recently moved to Astoria, OR, also known as the little San Francisco of the Pacific NW. I’m surrounded by history and natural beauty - this has been a long-term dream come true for me. I’m now on the hunt for the perfect Victorian house to purchase and lovingly restore. I’m passionate about preserving our treasured past, and have dedicated my life to achieving that goal.

-Describe an average day in life of "you".

Being self-employed, every day is busy and challenging, and I’m extremely grateful. I work alone, so in order to keep up with everything I work every day, but what is it they say . . . when you love what you do, you never work a day in your life.

A typical day consists of a combination of any of the following (plus more):

answering e-mails and convos, sending thank you’s to customers who have placed orders, processing custom orders, reading Etsy’s daily updates, networking online, reorganizing and relisting items in my shop, designing and creating new pieces, setting up props and photographing, editing and uploading photos, creating and writing new listings, carding finished jewelry, getting orders packaged up and mailed out, taking inventory, ordering and organizing new supplies, searching for new wholesale sources, doing product research, working in my garage cutting typewriter keys and getting other salvaged elements cleaned up and ready to be made into jewelry, appointments with local dealers and customers, and going out antiquing for more vintage goodies to use in my creations.

-Were you creative growing up/what did you enjoy doing?

All of the women in my family (and the men) are very creative, so it’s in my blood. I was also raised in a very old fashioned home, so everything was lovingly handmade all around me, and I’m glad to say it still is to this day. I’ve done everything over the years including beading, crocheting, knitting, embroidery, Quilting, sewing, scrapbooking, stamping, drawing, playing the piano, singing . . . I really can’t imagine living any other way. I earned my degree in interior design, but am now focusing on antiques, jewelry design, and historic preservation.

-What made you want to start selling on etsy?

I’ve been selling antiques and collectibles online for years, but I was searching for a better site to promote my handmade items. I kept hearing about Etsy, so I decided to give it a try, and I’m so thankful that I did. I recommend it to every artist that I meet.

-How long did it take for you to get your first sale on etsy?

In my first Etsy shop it took 4 days. In my second Etsy shop it took 3 days. In my third Etsy shop it took 15 days. The excitement of selling something that I’ve created never ends for me, and working for myself is its own reward.

-Top 5 favorite foods, tv shows, and bands?

I don’t watch a lot of tv but when I do, I enjoy PBS, The History Channel, Discovery, A&E, and the Weather Channel. I love English mysteries, historic documentaries, nature programs, and the Antiques Roadshow.

I cook at home –some of my favorites include seafood, fish, chicken, homemade soups, salads, casseroles and quiche. I love fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, cheeses, red wine, and (of course)dark chocolate. My favorite ice cream is Pistachio Nut.

Classical music is always on in my house and car – it helps keep me relaxed, focused, and productive. I’m a proud supporter of www.KUSC.org/classical.

-Is there anything you'd like to try your hand at doing? Knitting, baking, soap making, wood working, an instrument, etc.

I still want to learn how to do stained glass and make my own candles. I’m also constantly striving to improve my cooking skills.

-What would you suggest to new etsy sellers to promote their shops?

List every day to keep your shop current and easy to find in the searches.

Take really great photos and write very thorough descriptions.

Answer convos quickly and always ship promptly – A+ customer service is a must!

Make every customer feel special – that’s the difference with buying handmade.

Give hearts, pass along tips, refer other sellers, and it will all come back to you.

The more places you can get your name out there, the better for SEO.

Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try something new.

-3 etsy shops you just LOVE?

I do most of my shopping on Etsy, and I have over 50 pages of favorite sellers, so it’s impossible to choose just 3, but in the interest of time
Lunagirl,
VintageScraps,
Poppycottage.

-By December 31, 2010 I hope my number of sold items is ______.

For this particular shop, my goal is to reach 2,000 sales by the end of 2010, which I believe is very realistic.


--
Have a successful etsy shop and want to be a featured seller? Contact me at phletcher@gmail.com
As always, thanks for reading :)